Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I moved Pete (wether) in with the ewe lambs and moved our ram (Max) in with the ewes and then moved them to a fresh paddock. Max started doing his job within about 30 seconds and the ewes are standing for him so the first lambs this fall could be as early as 17 November.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got some pretty special birds there! I wonder what birds they have in their genetics to have blue skin.

They are cast offs from the ayam cemani. Ayam cemani are those all black birds...inside and out, well Greenfire farms imported them and were selling them as day old chicks. The first gens came out looking like they should but far as i know most people who hatched out 2nd gen had white leakage on the feathers. So the mosiac's take advantage of that, along with probly another breed or two maybe the swedish black hen too. The pictures are altered far as i or anyone else can tell with the saturation turned up.

If you want to see real life pictures of mosiacs BYC has a thread on them from 2017 to now. Basically mosiac's are what they did with the "trash" from ayam cemani because Green Fire Farms problys did some extensive crossing with their original stock or imported from someone who did. Don't misunderstand me i love the ayam cemani and the mosiacs they are goregous but the cost is hype and several people on the BYC forum are buying them as adults for $15/bird or as hatching eggs half a dozen for $20. So how long the prices will stay up who knows.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, it's a good time to have nice rare birds and not have to get them from Greenfire though. I was curious as to what they were up to lately and stumbled upon their google rating, which has fallen dramatically since my Marans days. Their reviews have a couple of people reporting their chicks came down with marek's and gave it to their whole flock and greenfire doing the typical legal bum covering...sounds like they may have imported some vaccinated carriers or similar and are spreading the love around the country for a premium price and being a typical money loving business about it. I wouldn't use them with that reputation. I'd buy from someone like Mike if I had to have them. Mareks is rather serious, and a bit of a death sentence with exposed, diseased, but vaccinated birds acting like a typhoid mary the rest of their lives. I don't want that, and we specifically don't vaccinate for it because I'd rather know I have it so I can cull everything rather than spread it around.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, it's a good time to have nice rare birds and not have to get them from Greenfire though. I was curious as to what they were up to lately and stumbled upon their google rating, which has fallen dramatically since my Marans days. Their reviews have a couple of people reporting their chicks came down with marek's and gave it to their whole flock and greenfire doing the typical legal bum covering...sounds like they may have imported some vaccinated carriers or similar and are spreading the love around the country for a premium price and being a typical money loving business about it. I wouldn't use them with that reputation. I'd buy from someone like Mike if I had to have them. Mareks is rather serious, and a bit of a death sentence with exposed, diseased, but vaccinated birds acting like a typhoid mary the rest of their lives. I don't want that, and we specifically don't vaccinate for it because I'd rather know I have it so I can cull everything rather than spread it around.

I have never liked Green Fire's attitude and have never done business with them because of it. I've just heard and seen to many things that make me believe they are only in it for the money. I am glad they are importing these beautiful/unique breeds but I dont trust their practices. Green Fire stopped selling the Ayam Cemani, I can only assume it is because they had bad stock and got to many complaints on the birds. They do sell the Swedish Black Hen now though.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
These chickens are laying eggs which is about all we care about. :) We went from almost out of chickens to having too many. The 15 we watched are out in the brooder and doing well and two of the Mosaics are sitting on eggs so we won't pick them up till they hatch them.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
These chickens are laying eggs which is about all we care about. :) We went from almost of of chickens to having too many. The 15 we watched are out in the brooder and doing well and two of the Mosaics are sitting on eggs so we won't pick them up till they hatch them.

Hey $20 for 6 eggs is still way more then i got for my normal eggs so nothing wrong with that. I would love to have some mosiacs they are beautiful birds.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
we took out three 6 year old fruit trees this morning. One of them was a plum tree that we removed since it no longer fit where it was located. The other two haven't bore any fruit since they were planted so all they were doing was taking up space and since they were fairly close to some garden beds, it opened the space up for them.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also meant to make mention of a documentary that we have been watching on Amazon Prime. It is titled "Against all Odds: Israel Survives". This series is one of the best about Israel's history that I have seen. It's unique in that each episode covers an event or a real person and events that happened there. It doesn't all center on the WWII years like so many of them do.