Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you already hatch some of the Mosaics?

There are some Mosaics among the chicks that we already hatched but since they had more than one rooster, there is no telling whether they are a cross or not. It doesn't really matter as long as they lay eggs. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it very likely that the virus is the cause of your Amish friends selling out so early. People are scared of bare shelves again. There isn’t a canning jar or lid to be had in our town. I always keep a good supply so I’m not in a bind. But I only have a half bag of pickling lime, so will have to go on a quest soon! Haha!

That is a shame about the Anatolian puppy and the chickens. I know your friends must be sick over it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing you are right @Baymule. We got there this morning as they were setting up and even had to wait for them to bring in the corn so we are good for the year once that gets processed. She said that she usually has people that she knows by sight but this year she is getting as many new folks as the usual.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess it's just my wacko personality, but when we walked through the empty grocery store, I laughed at the bare shelves. It reminded me of the panic buying prior to a hurricane and the emptiness of grocery stores afterwards, as no power means everything cold or frozen ruined and has to be thrown out. Covid panic is much the same, but it sure has lasted a heck of a lot longer and covers practically every product.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep enough generator fuel on hand to be able to keep everything in the freezer frozen until I have time to process everything in it. I've said before that having spent the majority of my life in hurricane country keeps me from having to do panic buying. :)

I pulled the last of our onions a couple of days ago and chopped them up to get them ready to freeze. We have been eating them fresh for a couple of months but I still wound up with a little over 46 pounds. We still have around 5 pounds left over from last year that I will dehydrate and turn into minced onion flakes and some will become onion powder.