Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went to the Farmer's market today, as usual on Summer Saturdays. Mostly looking for 2 ears of corn but my ground beef suppliers got their most recently processed animal back so I bought a pound of that. AND .... I saw a sign that said Lamb! They didn't have much to choose from, will have more in October. I got a 1/2 leg and NO I AM NOT GOING TO CHICKEN FRY IT!!!! ;)

This farm just opened last year, pasture raised, some grain at the end. Katahdins.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked the ewe lambs and Pete a couple of days ago. Mel and Maisy were kind enough to pose together just outside the handling chute.

Last but not least, We haven't been to a restaurant since covid started and even worse, we haven't been to our favorite Mexican so Teresa made us a really great plate of Camarones (shrimp) a la Mexicana. She had a good friend in California that was a Mexican immigrant who taught her the ropes and this dish was a good as it looks.
IMG_2237.JPG
Deck chair 7 Sep 2020.JPG
Camarones a la Mexicana.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two paddocks that I let the sheep graze fairly heavy so broadcast Rye Grass seed on them. The normal time around here is around the first of October but the forecast is good for seeding now. We had a freak real early frost last year that wound up making us start feeding hay in October instead of late November/early December which is normal. We went through 32 large round bales last winter but the two cows went through as much hay as all of the sheep. No cows this winter so it should take a lot less.

Plus, last winter we went through winter with 35 adult ewes. Right now we have 18 adult ewes and the 10 ewe lambs but 4 of the adults are sold and will be moving out this week so we will be down to 24 ewes through winter.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That should make your winter workload lighter!

Love those doggies!

The Camarones al la Mexicana looks great! (though someone can have my peppers)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was giving Sassy and Lance some cooked egg yolk this morning but we try to even keep the easy things as training since Sassy is prone to be hard headed. It works plus they get some good tasting treats.

They will hold until they hear "OK"

Sassy and Lance 12 Sep 2020 hold command.jpg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like canning season has come to an end. We went out to the Amish farm area to see what they might have and they are pretty much through. One of our favorites still has sweet corn coming in next week but we already have plenty of corn.

We got home and decided to give Sassy and Lance baths and that's a two hour project with their long hair. The yard looks like it had been the site of an animal kill with dog hair all over the place.

Latest posts