Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not real sad that canning season is over. I worked my garden hard this year and it worked me right back. LOL

When I brush or pluck the 2 Great Pyrenees, it looks like it snowed. It's fine like cat hair, it floats on the air, somehow I wind up with hair all over me, in my mouth, eyes, and stuck to my sweaty arms. I look pretty much like a Great Pyrenees myself. The Anatolians are so much easier to keep their coats nice.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel is easy. He starts blowing his coat and it is done a few weeks later and all in clumps. Maisy starts her shedding and it goes on for a month or better but to make it worse, she makes a point of rolling in everything that has a scent for the next couple of days after she gets groomed.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It started with thunder storms around 11:30 this morning and has been steady until a few minutes ago when it lightened up some. I checked the rain gauge and it is showing right at 4".

One thing good about the rain, besides us needing it to help the rye grass seed I put out Monday is Teresa can't sit still so she's making me one of my favorite dishes. It's a Cajun dish called Maquee Choux with shrimp and Andoullie sausage.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to come back and post the usual taste bud picture. :) This Maque Choux (pronounced mock shoe) is pretty easy to make and has that taste that you get in the best restaurants back in Charleston.

I'm not going to post the recipe since it is copy writed but if you would like to try it, a search for Maque Choux with sausage and Southern Living will bring it right up. We follow the recipe except that use shrimp and sausage and cut back on the corn and more than double the okra.

Mauque Choux.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I came up with a whole new definition of the word "frustration". We had watched an old episode of Law and Order from the late 90's only to find out when it was over, that it was a crossover episode from another TV series that we couldn't get.

We looked on Amazon but the price was ridiculous and then did another search. It turns out it was available on Youtube so the frustration ceased to exist. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie I moved back to Pensacola from Charleston, SC in 2003 after having been gone from P'cola for 8 years of which there was not a single named storm that whole time. Every year until I got a chance to go back to South Carolina in 2006, there was anywhere from one storm and up to 4 storms that came ashore in my back yard (literally) so no, I don't miss them. :)

One year I had to go to Biloxi AFB for a must do job in the middle of a hurricane that had been sitting just off of Mobile and Mobile Bay was literally dry as the hurricane sucked up the water.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took a few pictures of the poultry yesterday morning. The 14 chicks are 9 weeks old now and most are growing fast the Game hen also has her 3 chicks and two of them are going to be game chicken size while the 3rd is bigger than the hen. We have been gradually clipping wings on that hen and the chicks since it would take a lot taller fence than we have to keep them in. They can free range now that the garden is mostly gone but their pen is 75'x150' so they have more room than many.

No telling what some of the chicks are going to wind up growing into but several have the coloring of the Mosaics but they won't be full bloods.

The adult hens are all two years old or older and will be going into the freezer as soon as the young ones start laying.

Chicks 9 wks old 15 Sep 2020.JPG
Chickens 15 Sep 2020.JPG
Chicks2 9 wks old 15 Sep 2020.JPG