Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first picture of the 3 are light Brahma's... looks like 2 cockerels and a pullet in the back.... They will get very tall and stately when they mature but they are a "slower " growing breed. The feathered legs are a giveaway on them. Not sure the one in the bottom picture in the front right looks like a columbian rock pullet... the darker bodied one on the left isn't anything that I can tell right off, but is a cockerel. Didn't you or Teresa get a mixed group? I am not sure about some of the others in the middle picture...
They look good and healthy though... You will have a few for the freezer by the looks of it...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first picture of the 3 are light Brahma's... looks like 2 cockerels and a pullet in the back.... They will get very tall and stately when they mature but they are a "slower " growing breed. The feathered legs are a giveaway on them. Not sure the one in the bottom picture in the front right looks like a columbian rock pullet... the darker bodied one on the left isn't anything that I can tell right off, but is a cockerel. Didn't you or Teresa get a mixed group? I am not sure about some of the others in the middle picture...
They look good and healthy though... You will have a few for the freezer by the looks of it...

The friend we got the eggs from do have Brahma's and we expected that. Any roosters will be going in the freezer as we decided that we have enough friends that we can get eggs from that we don't need a rooster.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Old layer hens are tasty! Do y'all ever can the meat and broth? Canned chicken makes for instant meals without having to bake or simmer for hours to make them tender. And the broth is delicious in a lot of foods, not to mention that if you have a cold, a cup of hot broth with fresh garlic and ginger in it helps to unclog your sinuses.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hurricane Sally took out a section of the 3 Mile Bridge that spans Pensacola bridge between Pensacola and Gulf Breeze this afternoon.

I mentioned Hurricane Ivan earlier on this thread and it took out the I-10 bridge as well as the U.S. Hwy 90 bridge and coincidentally, Ivan hit the area on this day in 2004. My commute to work went from 20 miles to 120 miles one way because of the bridges.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it might have been a good time to take a few vacation days Mike!

My job at the time meant staying in place. :) Our work spaces were located at NAS Pensacola which is only about 10 feet above sea level. We put all of our equipment up off the ground about 5' but considering Hurricane Ivan had a storm surge of 30' we were about 15 feet short of what we needed. :)

Today was a beautiful day with a high right at 82. I had almost three hours of mowing to do and never got the least bit hot. We are going to work sheep tomorrow and separate the ewes that are sold and the wether and the ram Maxwell so we can let the ewe lambs go in the same field as the pregnant ewes and the dogs. We will see whether they accept Mel or not so I'll spend some time and a lot of Animal Crackers making sure it works out. Mel was with the adult ewes but we had to move him out before we put the ram in and he hasn't been with them when they were pregnant. Maisy knows to stay out of their way when they are doing their hormone thing but Mel hasn't been with them when pregnant. I have visited our next ram (Cooper) several times to get him comfortable with me and I know I am getting the better part of this swap. Cooper was a 4H ram and is almost Ringo like and leash trained. A plus is that he loves Fig Newtons so I have been giving him some Animal Crackers to convert him to my method. :)

I have my last PT this Friday and feel good about the progress. I have been careful but I have made a point of doing everything that I have to do on a daily basis to make sure that everything works the way it's supposed to so if a surgery was needed, I was going to force it. I have also been doing resistance exercise every day since this started and it seems to have worked. I have had some chronic back pain since I had surgery way back in the 80's but it is minor. On a 1-10 scale it is on most days at a 1 and for the last couple of weeks it has at the worst been at a 3 and that was when putting sheep in the deck chair. I'm happy and will call it fixed for at least for the time being.