Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems the Black Vultures have decided it's healthier elsewhere so hopefully it stays that way. We have our permit to take them if they decide otherwise. I understand the migratory bird preservation laws but I still can't see how a vulture fits in that class. We know one sheep producer that had so many losses to the vultures that he literally got out of the business.

We fed the dogs and made sure everyone had plenty of water then headed to Laurel Lake on David Crocket State Park to do some fishing. The crappie weren't biting but it was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it enough that we are going again tomorrow. :) We still have another light week then we have to start the pre-lambing routine so we are taking advantage of the slack time.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have gotten so much rain that the garden beds are saturated and my pepper plants were falling over so I went and thinned them out some. I was going to leave all of the peppers on the plants till they changed to red and got more size on them but that plan didn't work out.

Bell Peppers 10 Oct 2020.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only grew two Jalapeno plants this year since we still had so many left from last year and they were the low heat variety. :)

I need to get some pictures of a few of our ewes. There are several that usually have trips and they are already waddling with still over a month to go before they could be lambing.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lazy day today other than I made some Beef Stew that hit the spot. I guess the cooler weather has me into soup like meals as I made a gumbo yesterday.

We are still getting showers off and on but it has been nice and steady so the rye grass I seeded is already almost a foot tall. Right now is when we usually put out seed but I took advantage of that extended mild period last month so it's already a good stand in half of our paddocks.

The next time I move the sheep I'll broadcast seed in the paddock they are in now.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a dry summer, then got quite a bit of rain, now it is dry again. The sheep have cleaned up all the pastures, the garden and yard. Tiny green dots of clover are coming up and slender filaments of fescue, so I have to hold them off pasture to let it grow. They sure are disappointed right now. Poor sheepies!

Latest posts