Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started back cleaning up our fence line this morning that borders a CSX railroad tunnel since the weather is so mild and the back doesn't hurt. I got about 100' of it done and brushed on glyphosate on the stumps. Most of the saplings are an inch or under and I was wondering if that would kill the sapling since they are going dormant but articles I read said now is actually the best time to do it.

I didn't use any chemical on the trunks in this same area when I did it early last spring which is why I'm having to do it again. All of the saplings I cut today are growing out of roots that were left untreated. All of our other fences are clear of trees so this is the only one we have to do this to.

What are you trying to eradicate?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you trying to eradicate?

A couple of thousand saplings that are coming up out or tree roots.

Bruce - I use the 41% that has worked fine (when I used it). Triclopyr works also but days like today has so much moisture in the air it would probably be a waste of time as the clouds are right at ground level so it is almost raining (not fog).

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. Mike,

Both on my journal and in the thread "Making a Pasture and Keeping It Managed", Mr. Greybeard told me/us about a product called Remedy(*). I mix the glyphosate and Remedy together and spray on the plants, shrubs, and trees. It takes a few days for the effects to manifest on green plants. On freshly cut shrubs/trees/stumps, you should never see any resprouting if you apply immediately after having cut the shrub/tree.

Senile Texas Aggie

(*) See the following posts:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even though we have had a couple of light frosts, we picked enough bell peppers to fill a gallon Zip Lock bag of chopped peppers. We have been harvesting small amounts of turnips and Romaine lettuce that is great tasting after the cool weather that we have been having.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just came up with a very UNscientific conclusion about the health benefits of turnips. Teresa is a borderline diabetic and is very careful monitoring her blood sugar. She had checked it around 11:00 and then we decided to get something for lunch about an hour later. Her level earlier was at 120 and when she checked it again it was down to 90 which is the lowest it has been with her for awhile. The only thing she had done was eat some sliced raw turnips.

Out of curiousity we looked up blood sugar and turnips and found a year long study (using turnip extract) that showed a very beneficial affect on blood sugar as well as cholesterol benefits. We found no study on raw turnips themselves but since we are harvesting turnips now she will keep double checking to see if there is a consistent result.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I grew turnips one year and looked up their health benefits. They were pretty amazing (although I have noticed that when I look up "health benefits of _________ " everything is pretty amazing, sooo.... ) but the greens were a powerhouse of amazing, lol.
We put them in our green smoothies. They were very pungent and I admit it was a happy day when we had no more.
Glad to hear that they could be beneficial to diabetes though. Dh is borderline also, so maybe I'll need to grow some again next year. Thanks for sharing Teresa's observations.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Smoothies? Recipe/example? I thought you just stewed turnip greens with vinegar and salt...maybe with ham or pork if you were served them at a party or special occasion. As a kid that grew them in the summer I was at a loss for what to do with the ball part of the turnip. I think I left them out long enough that my dad would just pickle and eat them or something. They kind of just disappeared, thank goodness. I never liked them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can mash turnips just like mashed potatoes. In fact mixing some in with the potatoes makes them much more acceptable. Some varieties are milder than others. I don't like turnip greens, but will eat mashed turnips. Might be a "yankee thing" as lots of the old timers that my family knew/was friends with, all talked about turnips. Plus they keep as well or better than carrots.