Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like dad should have had sheep, lol. He disappeared a LOT of turnips. I sort of feel bad about that. He didn't like wasting anything. I have memory of at least a few occasions where they got microwaved and treated like a slightly pungent potato, so I don't doubt that mashed turnips are good, probably to most people. I wish I liked them. It's a fun plant family, brassicas. Livestock fodder, edible flowers, edible roots, greens, edible stalks, rape seed/canola, cabbage...I should grow some turnips again at some point and see if goats like them. Sheep might be more flexible on feed and willing to try stuff though. Sounds like they know turnips were cultivated for them and other domesticated ruminants first. Probably means they are great for you.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can mash turnips just like mashed potatoes. In fact mixing some in with the potatoes makes them much more acceptable.
Somehow I don't think that would work at my house. DW won't eat mashed white potatoes other than to be polite at someone else's house and DD2 won't eat most vegetables.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Smoothies? Recipe/example?

No "recipe" lol. But an example of our smoothies is as much mixed greens as can be crammed into the blender, add some water and chia seeds, blend, chug it down quick and make a face. The face part is involuntary because they are not tasty. Some are not bad at all depending on the variety of greens, but some are tougher to get down. Our smoothies are not for the faint hearted or people with functioning taste buds.
I don't add any fruit because I have no problem eating fresh fruit, but the point of the smoothies for us, is getting more greens and chlorophyll and various antioxidants into our bodies.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. Mike,

I fear that the senile part of me is about to manifest itself, and I will ask a question that I have asked before and don't remember. I think I remember your once telling the story in your journal about one of your neighbors telling you about a ditch in your property that was masked by tall grass, and that you found the ditch by driving around your property with your tractor with the bucket lowered. Is that true? Well, the part I don't remember is asking and your answering where that ditch is on your property and if you ever took pictures of it. Just curious.

Senile Texas Aggie

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie that was quite awhile ago and I never took a picture of it. It ran from a storm catch pond right through the middle of our place down to where there was a pond that wouldn't hold water. It was around 3' wide and 4' deep but that was among the first of our projects to get it filled in. I knew from the neighbor that the ditch ran north to south so I just kept running back and forth (east to west) till I found it. Dragging the bucket was just to give me leverage when I ran into the ditch with the rear wheels on the tractor (which I did).

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The weather gave us a reason to stay inside and do a few of those chores that need to be done often. With two dogs and a cat in the house a lot, keeping hair down is a priority. We had a bunch of objects of every sort displayed on top of the kitchen cabinets that we were both getting tired of dusting around so we took everything down and dusted and wiped down the cabinet tops. They are finished on top for ease of cleaning not to mention rough cabinet tops would be an eye sore from the loft.

Our ceilings are tall and the cabinet tops are over 8' so Teresa did the cleaning standing on the lower cabinets so it went pretty fast. We replaced all of the assorted items with a few things and a couple of plants so we both like it better.

Kitchen 29 Oct 2020.JPG
Kitchen2 29 Oct 2020.JPG

Latest posts