Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a couple of large pork shoulders we wanted to smoke today for pulled pork but I didn't get them on the smoker till 11:00 this morning. They got up to about 180 degrees and stalled out so I pulled them off of the smoker and we will finish them in the oven since they still have several hours to go.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try this recipe. A friend gave it to me, it's good! We served it over rice.

Slow Cooker Jalapeno Pineapple Pork

Ingredients
6 pound pork shoulder roast
1 yellow onion , diced
2 jalapenos , 1 sliced thinly for garnish and one diced
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 pineapple , peeled, cored and cut into 1" chunks
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley for topping

Instructions
In a small bowl add the yellow onion, diced jalapeno, soy sauce, brown sugar and pineapple chunks and stir to combine.
Put the pork in the slow cooker, fat cap side up.
Pour over the pineapple-jalapeno mixture.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

If you'd like to reserve the liquids at the end remove the pork and pineapple pieces then drain the liquid into a glass measuring cup.
Let the fat settle to the top and spoon it off or let it chill in a refrigerator and then just scrape it off the top.
If you'd like this pork to taste like crispy carnitas you can crisp it up in a pan with a spoonful of the fat on medium high heat, or just spread it onto a sheet pan and put under the broiler for 45-60 seconds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cooked the pork roast first and shredded it. I put it in a pot, put the pineapple mixture over it and roasted it awhile in the oven. I used canned pineapple.

9613B791-7212-4586-80BC-C7317B737BE2.jpeg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That one is saved to my recipe file as I like anything cooked with pineapple. :)

We just finished doing a rough pull on the pork shoulders only because they weren't going to be cooled off until well past our bed time. We wound up with a little over 15 pounds of pulled pork. We vacuum seal all of our smoked meats in one pound packs so it makes it efficient to do a lot at one time.

Pulled pork 22 Nov 2020.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are in an almost winter routine now even though the temps will be back to spring levels tomorrow. :) We have enough cool weather grass that I cut for the sheep but we are getting to the point of starting with hay. Apparently, Maxwell and the ewes weren't in sync when we put them together since the first due date was the 17th but several of the ewes have all of the symptoms of being ready any minute and most have bagged up. When you feel their bellies, you can feel the lambs already in full stride on several of the girls.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can envision your lush green pastures. Our winter grasses are barely up, we have had a long dry spell, but got a hard rain last night. The storm should be over you now. It knocked out power for 15,000 people across east Texas. Hope it makes the fescue, rye grass and clovers grow!

Can't wait for lamb pictures!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The summer grass is brown rather than lush but the rye grass is doing well. The storm front moved in early this morning but so far all we are having is a light steady rain with a bit of wind but the most severe weather appears to be up toward Nashville.