Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you folks live in such a hostile environment!😜 A line im fond of using on our Houston based relatives.

Don't kid yourself Alasgun! Texas is way hostile!!
Oops, I mean it's lovely pleasant and fine all the time! All you folks heading here need to do a U-turn and head on down to Texas!

Hey @Baymule , I heard of a family moving out of n. Idaho and coming your way. They sold a car for moving funds and (supposedly) got paid in counterfeit money. A soft hearted and gullible acquaintance of mine is their neighbor and was out trying to raise funds to help them. It sounded very suspicious to me. Sorry, I don't wish them on Texas, maybe they should head for Massachusetts :tongue. My apologies to @rachels.haven .

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't think you ever got snow.
Every couple of years we get snow, it usually is pretty much gone by the 3rd day.

February 2015, eleven days after we moved in. Trip was just a baby.

1610248390917.png

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been bringing the sheep in and doing what little needs to be done. All of this rain has a few of their hooves that needed a bit of work but we try not to do any more than necessary. The main bunch of lambs are growing really nice and they are from 5 to 7 weeks old. We plan on bringing the whole bunch in soon for shots and weight checks.

This picture looks like I was holding the camera at an angle but this slope is behind our shop and it is as steep as it looks.

Attachments

• Lambs4 10 Jan 2020.jpg
    Lambs4 10 Jan 2020.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 59

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That storm is supposed to move ENE and end up coming up the east coast sorta/kinda. Well, we are feeling it will be at my house on Tue, as rain! Hope it remembers to be only rain!!!! So, am I saying to enjoy that snow for me? Yep.

We had an overenthusiastic weatherman look up our local snow. He says over 30 years we average 5.7" a year, however....most often it's an inch or two in Jan/ Feb, with a real big hit every 8-12 yrs. Been 10 yrs since last biggie! I'm good with none. It's only pretty 2 days and then, I'm done with it being here! Nothing last year and only about an inch 2018 & 2019. That was enough 😁

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find your snow! 😄
Me too!

I don't think you get to say you get snow if it is miles away up on a hill/mountain STA :D Bay may be sharing 0.2" of her snow with us tonight. It won't be noticed on top of the 6" we got last week.

This picture looks like I was holding the camera at an angle but this slope is behind our shop and it is as steep as it looks.
That must be the cardio workout area!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the remaining two ewe holdouts had lambs this morning. You could tell from the living room window that she was lambing about 7:30 this morning so I went out to see what was happening since it was time to break the ice in the water trough anyway. The lamb is a ram but she looked like she wasn't done yet so I stuck around. She finished cleaning off the lamb and lay down and about 10 minutes later there was another lamb on the way out and another ewe is here. I didn't have the camera so no pictures yet.

Edit: Both of her lambs are rams and when I was walking around looking for the afterbirth, I found a third lamb that wasn't completely formed but showed no sign of deterioration.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot to post the picture that Teresa took when we were out banking up the hay inside the panel. This ewe is one of our registered ewes and looks big but she has such a thick hair coat that you can take off 20 pounds of her weight estimate. I can get within a couple of pounds estimating weights but this one proves me wrong every time she gets on the scale. The smaller lamb wasn't even completely cleaned off yet in the picture.

I'm not optimistic about the future of these ram lambs but we will give them a chance to see how they grow out.

Attachments

• 1848 twin ram lambs 13 Jan 2020.jpg
    1848 twin ram lambs 13 Jan 2020.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 56

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the two ram lambs. Too bad about the one that was born dead. My ewes have only had triplets once, the smallest was rejected and even with bottle feeding, she didn't make it. I think the ewe knew there was something wrong.