Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any chance the other ewe lost the dead lamb you found? Not often that a ewe will have full term lambs and a 4 month fetus too.... but we were just discussing the same type thing with cattle.... a cow having a full term calf and a month later having a second calf..... and another cow having a full term calf and a fetus that was very much less formed.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know goats can do it. My first kidding the doe threw two huge, full term kids (one doa) and one premie with no teeth and unfinished hooves. We lost the premie because I couldn't get it to produce a bowel movement-I didn't realize it was premie until I realized the others had teeth and their feet were different. I think having fetuses in different stages of development at birth has to due with bad attachment to the placenta and the other fetuses taking all the resources.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know goats can do it. My first kidding the doe threw two huge, full term kids (one doa) and one premie with no teeth and unfinished hooves. We lost the premie because I couldn't get it to produce a bowel movement-I didn't realize it was premie until I realized the others had teeth and their feet were different. I think having fetuses in different stages of development at birth has to due with bad attachment to the placenta and the other fetuses taking all the resources.

This fetus definitely came from the latest as it was found in an area that I am in several times a day. It very well could have died in the womb but it was actually quit a bit bigger than the smaller of the two twin rams that were born.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan, this is the first time it's happened to us but I know of several other growers that have had it happen.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We wimped out today. It wasn't terribly cold but it only got up in the 30's and the wind was gusting to 35 mph. We love our hill country but the wind in January can be painful. :) We had planned on giving shots to the lambs today but decided to put it off since there was already plenty going on. Our feed store called and said our feed load would be ready about midday so it didn't take much to change our schedule.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today is colder and windier than yesterday so other than normal chores, there won't be a lot done outside today. Teresa said she wanted to clean house and I want to mill some oak for her to practice with the scroll saw we got her for Christmas.

When I was driving down to the state line to pickup a load of feed I noticed that the Ram we got last May just went over 2000 miles so I guess that is one impact that Covid has had on us. Almost all of the miles on that truck were going to/from the lake so it will be a long while before it becomes a high mileage vehicle.