Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The dogs were laying by their favorite spot guarding the house and Maisy had her head laying on Mel. She must have sensed something when I moved the blinds to get a picture and then another noise made them go on full alert but they still made for a couple of good pictures.

Attachments

• Mel and Maisy 2 Feb 2020.JPG
    Mel and Maisy 2 Feb 2020.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Mel and Maisy2 2 Feb 2020.JPG
    Mel and Maisy2 2 Feb 2020.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 56

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the sheep in this morning to worm 3 of the ewes and pull some more fecals from 3 ewes that are having a hard time getting back in condition. We are going to take most of the ram lambs along with a couple of our senior ewes to the auction next week. Prices are higher right now than they have been for a long time but that will change in another 4 or 5 weeks as more lambs make it to the sale. All of the ram lambs were between 50 and 60 pounds last week when we ran them through the chute so about ideal weights now.

We went to the grocery store earlier also before the crowds showed up. We didn't need many things other than fruit and fresh vegetables. As I walked by the meat counter I saw a bunch of hams for $.59 so I grabbed one that was 10 plus pounds for a little over $6 even though we don't need it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
While we were working sheep earlier today some of our Mar-Apr 2020 yearlings seemed to be posing on the hill. I thought it would be nice to show some of the lines these girls have. Not the best picture in the world but these ewes are all replacements for the 2021 breeding.

We have really been trying to get our ewes to be stockier with both wide chests and hips and we have been really pleased.

Attachments

• Yearlings Mar 2020.jpg
    Yearlings Mar 2020.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 55

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not have needed it, but getting that ham was smart. Today, JBS, the largest "processing company" slaughter company, just announced they closed one of their plants due to a covid-19 outbreak.... over 200 off work for 2 weeks... yes with full pay and benefits.... BUT..... this is going to disrupt the supply chain again..... so you might want to pick up another one or 2 to stick back in the freezer.... Haven't seen anything on mainstream news yet....

I think that it is starting again..... all the "controlling the supply" in whatever way it can be done. Even if it is from a "legit" reason like an outbreak of the crud....
DS said that goat prices here are up.... over 2.00 lb and sheep are up to over 1.75 for 110 lb lambs..... I think you are smart to ship them while prices are good.....if it gets a little better, then maybe you left a little money on the table.... but if it gets more saturated and the prices drop, then you were smart. Sometimes it makes more sense to take a good price, that might not be the best, but you also don't want to hold on and then say "IF ONLY".....
Easter is not until the 1st of April....too long to hold for the pre-Easter sales.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan,

We started breeding a month before the "normal" time around here because the January-February markets are normally the best where we sell. 50 pound goats brought up to $4 a pound and 50 pound lambs brought upto $3.47 last week.

Most of the growers we know are just starting to lamb this month.