Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was reading that earlier and it impressed me greatly. How does the breeding go in the warmer months? Any problems associated with that? What lambing date do you shoot for to hit this increase in market prices?

We were shooting for a mid November lambing start but for who knows what reason there was a 5 week gap at the end for the last three ewes. We knew that starting breeding in July would have lower fertility for the ram (we only use one) and less egg drops for the ewes. That proved true as we had a whole lot more singles this time but for the prices that they sold at, it was all moot. We did a cost breakdown and we will never breed for spring lambs again until everybody else figures it out and by then I will be old enough to call it quits. :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were shooting for a mid November lambing start but for who knows what reason there was a 5 week gap at the end for the last three ewes. We knew that starting breeding in July would have lower fertility for the ram (we only use one) and less egg drops for the ewes. That proved true as we had a whole lot more singles this time but for the prices that they sold at, it was all moot. We did a cost breakdown and we will never breed for spring lambs again until everybody else figures it out and by then I will be old enough to call it quits. :)
We are lambing in March and it could be we'll have lambs weaned and sold by the time we would need to breed for a Nov/Dec. lambing. Any sheep that had a single this season, we'd like to breed them again if possible so they can have another lamb in the fall. We never did that before and may not do it often or even again but we'd like to try it once.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I drove as far as @Baymule drove to get Ringo to get the ram we replaced him with.
Funny that you mention this. Today I gave Ringo hugs and reminded him of the long trip we made to get him and I told I'd go twice as far for him. He just stood there enjoying the attention. Love that boy!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny that you mention this. Today I gave Ringo hugs and reminded him of the long trip we made to get him and I tolI'd go twice as far for him. He just stood there enjoying the attention. Love that boy!

He has some traits that I haven't seen before or after him. :)

l

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a difference a week makes. It got up to 70 today so we took advantage of it and gave Sassy and Lance a bath. Lance has typical Border Collie fine hair and is fairly easy to get him done and blow dried but Sassy has a really thick undercoat that seems to hold every bit of any dead or shed hair. We spend the better part of a half hour with her and one of us running the blow dryer while the other does the brushing.

When we uncovered the garden beds yesterday, we fully expected to find a bunch of dead plants but everything survived the temps down in the teens and the Broccoli is started to get heads.

Attachments

• Garden beds 24 Feb 2021.JPG
    Garden beds 24 Feb 2021.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Sassy and Lance 24 Feb 2021.JPG
    Sassy and Lance 24 Feb 2021.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts