Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, reduced SS and medicare payouts so that they can give it to illegal entrants into our country and who will vote for them, instead of hard headed independently thinking old geezers.....and who will continue to add to the rolls of those that get continued govt "assistance" for the rest of forever....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, reduced SS and medicare payouts so that they can give it to illegal entrants into our country and who will vote for them, instead of hard headed independently thinking old geezers.....and who will continue to add to the rolls of those that get continued govt "assistance" for the rest of forever....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The weather is beautiful again today. We got all of our garden starts transferred to six packs since they were all in flats until today. I sprayed fence lines today while Teresa worked a couple of the raised garden beds and transplanted some of the summer vegetables. We still aren't out of the danger zone for frost but we have enough row covers to protect things if needed.

The sheep are enjoying the new growth grass and we will pull the lambs off of them in the next week or so. I took one picture from the living room window of them grazing this afternoon just to have something to post.

Attachments

• Apr 7 2021.JPG
    Apr 7 2021.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 81

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lovely picture. Ringo is in the back yard/side pasture that goes up to the back of the sheep barn, along with 7 weaned ram lambs. He is in Paris's domain. He gravitates towards her, probably missing Maisy. She was laying down a few days ago and he pawed her. She was up in a flash, snarling at him. He nudged her a day or so later and she growled. But she lays down near him. Neither one has ever showed interest in being friends, maybe they are talking about it now........ Paris, my old, cranky, crazy, psycho dog. LOL If they work out some sort of friendship, it would be nice for both of them.

It seems every time I look out the bathroom window, there is Ringo, looking at me. he walks up and down, baas at me when I go outside, for me to come brush him. The grass in the side pasture is lush and green now, he is enjoying it. What a spoiled brat. At least he hasn't figured out the steps that lead to the back door....... LOL

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have getting Asparagus before the last cold spell but last night they must have decided to really sprout up. We have another cold spell coming so that will slow them down again. This was a little over a pound.

Today was a marathon grass mowing day since I need to get my mower worked on so it might be a bit before I get it back. The area on the frame where the seat attaches has developed a pretty good size crack that my neighbor is going to try and weld some support to. I'm hoping he can make it work or if not I'll be getting a new mower because the seat is falling off this one. It takes me a bit over 5 hours a week to keep the grass cut but I usually spread that out by an hour or so a couple of times a week.

Attachments

• Asparagus 9 Apr 2021.jpg
    Asparagus 9 Apr 2021.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 72

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The road we live on is only 3 miles long and used to be a dead end as there was a railroad bridge that was closed as unsafe 10 years ago. There is a big farm at the far end of the road plus he owns a lot of land on the other side of the bridge that in order to get to was about 20 miles away although he can see his land 1/2 mile away. Three years ago he made a deal with the county to donate a right-away so they could build a through roadway that gave him direct access to both of his properties.

There still wasn't that much traffic since there is only 5 families but one of the families sub divided their 185 acre farm and put it up for sale. It looks like one of the parcels that is a little over 60 acres was bought by a builder with plans to build 65 houses on it that is right in line with our beautiful view to the west. We are less than an hour drive to Franklin that has been in a commercial business boom for the last several years so our quiet little road is going to change a bit. We didn't think it would sell that fast since they were asking $12,000 and acre and we paid $2,000 per acre six years ago.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to look into trees or some sort of a living hedge now and get them planted along the fenceline/roadway ; to cut down on some of the dust and noise, and then the nosiness of neighbors in a subdivision.
It's going to continue like that. And when it starts to happen, make sure your liability insurance on the farm covers stupid people that might get across the fence/trespass on the property.... with the guardian dogs and all. Mel might not be a problem since he is so people loving.... but you don't need to deal with any aggravations and such.

Sorry for the loss of the view.... but the only way to stop that is to have bought the property for yourself which you don't need for your operation. Yeah, progress sucks....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been wondering when that might start happening. Nashville and Franklin have been in a boom since before we bought here and an hour commute isn't a big deal with I65 being two miles away. The only access to our place is our driveway that has only one way in and our west boundary is a CSX railroad tunnel that runs the length of our property line.

The new housing is going to be on the clearing on the left side of the picture and our house is quite a bit higher elevation than the spot this picture was taken. We have plenty of insurance since we are toured by several school organizations plus Katahdin Association activities.

Attachments

• Pasture Cutting Hay III 25Aug 2016.JPG
    Pasture Cutting Hay III 25Aug 2016.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 65