Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks so good! I know y’all will wrap some up for later.

We always have some ready. :) We got 15 meals out of this batch not counting the sausages and hot dogs.

We were glad we ate early since we had a strong storm cell come through and the power was off until about 10 minutes ago.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
When that storm front hit us yesterday there was a brief period of high winds that only lasted about 20 minutes. One of the neighbors about 1/2 mile away lost an equipment barn and also had one of his semi truck and trailer turned over. That was evidently the reason for the power loss yesterday since there were several power company trucks there replacing some poles and transformers this morning. No idea if it was straight line winds or possibly a tornado since there was a couple of twisted trees not far from their place.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG.... no one was hurt I'm assuming? We had that derechio here about 10 years ago....it did alot of damage. So glad you did not have any significant problems. Hope he was insured well...

I would think they are insured as they are one of the biggest farmers in the county. Hopefully everything works outl

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to what they called a Graveside Service for our friend and neighbor this afternoon. He was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago and it was untreatable but he stayed his horneryt but happy self up until recently as he started going downhill three months ago. His daughter insisted that he move in with her at that time and she was able to make sure he was cared for and able to get what medical help he needed. His younger brother died of pneumonia/covid two months ago so the family has had their share of gried recently. He had just turned 90 a couple of months ago. He had a nice informal service with an Honor Guard doing a great job.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
90 years is a full life. I’m glad your neighbor was able to live life, even with cancer, on his terms until a few months before he died. We should all be so blessed.

Paris, our aging female GP, would make short work of that possum. She killed a big male one night, the same night a ewe gave birth to twins. I’m sure the possum wasn’t interested in the lambs, but he was dumb enough to enter Paris’s world and that was the end of him. She was so proud, she kept running to the possum, then to the ewe and lambs, to show me what she did. LOL LOL

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey Mike I remember a while back you were looking into doing the sericea lespedeza seeding and had ordered some. Have you noticed any improvement from it? Looking at possibly adding it to our worm management after having high loads last year. Already we have 2 lambs this year that look like they are thin at only 3 months old.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey Mike I remember a while back you were looking into doing the sericea lespedeza seeding and had ordered some. Have you noticed any improvement from it? Looking at possibly adding it to our worm management after having high loads last year. Already we have 2 lambs this year that look like they are thin at only 3 months old.

We were having a long dry spell when I broadcast that so the growth was barely visible and non-existent now. It might have gone better if I had a drill but I don't have enough need to get one. A friend of ours has a bunch of it and he hasn't seen a large change in the fields he has it in and he pays attention to detail.