Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup
It is very enjoyable and I love the study of genetics in livestock. I discussed what I fund out yesterday about the parasite studies. Not only is Tennessee University (name?) conducting parasite studies but the University of Arkansas is doing so as well as another institution in Pennsylvania.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was just in the low 80's but the air was thick enough to cut. We just had a rain shower with wind go through but it looks like that might be it for today. We are getting more than enough rain but I'm not going to gripe since we are never far from a drought in the spring here.

Teresa and I got the garden beds weeded and weaved twine around most of the tomatoes. We are steady getting cucumbers and from the looks of all of the pickling cucumbers, we should be able to start canning some pretty soon.

We only planted one small bed of squash this year since it seems we wind up throwing more away than we eat. We like squash but you can only eat so much and I don't care for it canned.

Attachments

• Tomatoes 8 June 2021.JPG
    Tomatoes 8 June 2021.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Cucumbers 8 June 2021.JPG
    Cucumbers 8 June 2021.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 55
  • Squash and onions 8 June 2021.JPG
    Squash and onions 8 June 2021.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 58

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For yellow squash, I freeze alot and when I cook it, I mash it like mashed potatoes. Add a little butter, s & p and it is good.
I also will slice and egg and bread it, cook it, and then it gets frozen. It will come out decent in the oven when thawed, and cooked like ff on a sheet pan.
Have never canned it. I can few vegs but that is probably because my mom didn't can vegs much. Can nearly all the fruits and jellies etc..

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like cooked yellow squash.... lightly boiled with cut up onions... but my favorite is just cooked til tender with s&p and butter.... and I like it mashed like mashed potatoes... I guess technically it is whipped since I use the electric mixer... and fried batter dipped squash is a southern staple in this area....never ate it up north. My family didn't like yellow squash but a friend's mom cooked it one time I was there for supper as a kid, so got my mom to make it as I really liked it. The nice thing about the mashed is that you neither skin or scoop out seeds unless it is real big and tough...

I don't particularly care for it raw... and zucchini is good in stuff like zuc bread....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to make a wonderful Bread and Butter pickle with yellow crookneck, zucchinis, and red bell peppers. Real tasty and colorful, so pretty on a holiday table.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last fall we had a bed that had been fallow all season so we planted a row of garlic (from store bought garlic) and a row of onions from an old packet of seed that we had. We dug everything up today and we wound up with almost a gallon zip lock bag of garlic and close to 20 pounds on onions that we chopped up and froze. Neither of those things are expensive but it still made use of an idle bed and took zero labor other than planting and harvesting.

The bed didn't need any weeding since I mulched the bed with fall leaves once everything was up.

We are starting to get enough cucumbers to start canning them.