Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa is heading to Missouri in the morning to spend a couple of days with her siblings who are all coming in for a get together. We had a pretty full day getting things caught up so I don't start out behind tomorrow and I love it that we share all the work. We had been doing a string weave on our biggest tomato bed and after looking at it this afternoon, we were pretty close to having a total mess so we went through and re-did all of the ties. From the way the plants look, we should be getting a banner harvest in a week or so and we will pull our camp stove out and set it up to process everything outside. We have somewhere around 40 plants and they are all going to be getting ripe around the same time. We planted a half dozen plants later in another bed so we will still have plenty of fresh tomatoes after the main bunch is through.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope Teresa has a great time on her trip. I know she will have lots of fun. Yes, have to get everything prepared for her not being there. Lots to do!

I plant my tomatoes between a cow panel trellis. I leave the trellis up and never take it down. It’s much easier than string. I’ll take a picture this morning and post it for you.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use the concrete wire cylinders my daddy made me 40 years ago. I tried to get more wire to make more but the new wire is not as tall as the old stuff daddy used. The original cages were 6' tall but after 40 years I have had to trim some of the rusty broken ends off and they are about 5' now. The new ones are only 4' tall and lighter gauge wire. But better than those flimsy cone shaped things at the garden store!

One of my tomato bushes actually has about 2-3 tomatoes on it!!!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo always got included no matter what and he never seemed to mind. :) He still ruined me as a Ram aware handler. I was out cleaning the water trough in the breeders paddock this evening and was all bent over and not thinking about Cooper until I felt breathing on my leg and looked up to see Cooper trying to figure out where the crackers were. He doesn't react at all when I'm in the paddocks for a long time and doesn't show any aggressive behavior. I don't know if he will ever be as trustworty as Ringo but he is well on his way to being predictable.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our new girls

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are pictures of my tomato trellis. I put up 3 cow panels, 18-20 inches apart, about a foot off the ground. After the first frost, I give them a little time to dry out, then we pull off the vines. We spread compost or sheep barn clean out for the next spring. Tomatoes do great in this spot, year after year. Black Eyed Susan’s like to grow there too. When we put down cardboard or paper feed sacks, I always go around the Black Eyed Susan’s. They are so bright and cheerful.

Feel free to ignore the gone to seed mustard to the left

1C91F4FE-AFA8-401F-8592-1E51E9964482.jpeg

89436879-474C-414F-B9B8-03FDA2FEC249.jpeg

Latest posts