Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad that you were able to get the car situation worked out without a big problem. Hope it turns out to be something not too difficult or expensive to fix.

Great testament to your methods of handling the rams. Granted they have come from places where they were treated right... but still, to have them continue to be this way; and to have Cooper settle down more is really something to be proud of because of the way you have garnered their trust.

Yep... Mel is a little on the large size to be bouncing like a giant puppy ball :lol::lol::lol::gig:gig!!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Car trouble. :he

Mike you are the ram whisperer. :love
Ringo loves attention, will come straight to me when I have a brush in my hand and adores having the sides of his face gently stroked. His 2 sons are the same way. The 2 boys have been in a pasture next to the barn and lot. They can poke their heads through the cow panel to flirt with the ewes. Ringo has suddenly decided they are rivals. He knocked the callus off that bump on his head and it was bloody. So I moved them where they can’t cause problems.

The 2 boys are just like Ringo. They come to me for attention. Calm, gentle and attention hogs. Im keeping them until I get registered sons. Im going to breed the young ewes in late September to Ringo, including the 2 registered ewe we bought. When I get registered sons or a son from Ringo, I’ll sell these two boys. They will make good commercial sires.

My granddaughters or any kid can go in with Ringo. When people are here with their kids. I put a lawn chair or two in the lot, give them whole corn to feed the ewes and Ringo.

I put Ringo in with the ewes in April. Only the past week has he been romancing the girls. So much for having weaned lambs ready for auction in January. I’ve always lambed in February-March, so if I can move them back a couple of months I guess I’ll have to be happy with that.

We are meeting @Ridgetop and her husband at the livestock auction this morning in Emory to watch the sheep and goat auction. We’ll have breakfast at the cafe. Fun!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the lambs in this morning to give the follow-up wormer to those that were due and pulled fecals on the ewes we didn't pull the last time.

I figured I would post a produce picture before everything slows down due to the heat. I have lost track of how many jars of tomatoes have been put up but there has been plenty. The picture is the tomatoes we brought in today which is about what we have been picking every three days.

Attachments

• Tomatoes 24 July 2021.JPG
    Tomatoes 24 July 2021.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 56

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We canned another 13 jars of tomatoes this afternoon. We changed our plans on processing outside. We have the camp stove set up to keep from heating the house by doing it inside but we both chickened out as the temperature climbed to 95. That should give us around 30 jars or so with the goal being 50.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought in another 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes this afternoon so it will be canning again tomorrow. We have resorted to watering a few of the raised beds since it has been dry and hot. The temp today got up to 97 and it looks like it's going to be that way for several days. The fecals on the lambs turned out with low counts so they will get moved out tomorrow and we will bring the seniors in over the next few days. I'll walk with them tomorrow to see what they are actually grazing on as they aren't keeping up. I will move them to a smaller paddock that is closer to where I need them to be so we can bring them in to check them over but it is the only one that still has a lot of clover growing well in spite of the heat. It gets a lot of afternoon shade and holds the growth for a lot longer.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is great on the fecals.....

Have you not been getting any rain lately? I know it gets sucked back up out of the soil in a hurry with 90+ degree heat.... W@e finally got 1.3 inches today which was a GOD SEND.... not enough but a big help right now... it looks like every drop soaked in everywhere....