Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't seen too much evidence of shortages in our local Kroger's... but definitely in Walmart. I have been quietly adding some extra to the cart every time I go in there....
What is everyone else trying to "stock up on" ???
Besides the TP and some extra paper towels, which I don't use many because I use more cloth towels for many things... I have picked up an extra 10 lb bag of sugar every time. The 10 lb bag has been cheaper by the lb over the 50 lb bag.. You have to watch the price per lb on the "larger sizes".... I have picked up some extra flour, lots of pudding mix that is cook and serve, not instant.... it has been on sale a couple of times... Picked up more rice. some extra cleaning supplies. Of course I watch for some canning stuff and finally found fruit fresh.... but canning lids are hit and miss. Our Ace hardware has gotten them, as well as jars but Walmart is a real iffy deal. I have quite a few that I bought earlier in bulk online... and I will keep plenty on hand....I have found Hershey's syrup in large containers, on the bulk food aisle, and have gotten several. Cooking oil, olive oil and I like avocado oil.... and some extra "Crisco" type shortening when it was on sale.

Sorry Mike, I just realized this was your journal, not the coffee shop. But since you mentioned it, I just jumped in and went with it. So, anyone want to chime in? We can start a separate thread if wanted.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan - my thread is always open. Today it seemed paper products and canned goods were really picked over. Having spent most of my life in hurricane country I have always been able to go a couple of months or more before "needing" to get something. We have been canning more chicken than normal but that's more because we got out of the habit and that does come in handy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a freezer full of meat, another freezer full of vegetables. My pantry is packed, I canned so much last summer that this summer's garden fail doesn't matter. Now it's just me. I will be moving. Do I get more, eat less and then move more or just let it ride until I move and know how much less room I'm gonna have. We downsized to move here. I don't know what the square footage is for my son's house and I don't think I want to know. This is going to be interesting.

Maybe I should get more toilet paper.......ok some rice...... sugar..... dang I'm off and running again! :lol:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just came back in from taking out water for the boys and checking out the ewes. We are now 10 days past the earliest due date for lambs so lambs will arrive when they arrive.

I spend some time giving the boys a little feed every couple of days and give Cooper his neck and back scratches. He has gotten so gentle that I keep waiting for him to revert to the head butt king but it seems that not having ewes with him has made him more stable. I lean over him while rubbing his neck and he will nibble on my chin so either he thinks there is a cracker somewhere near or that's his version of ram kisses.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel and Maisy are still doing their job even though they are separated from the sheep. The ewes are in a south paddock and the rams are in a north paddock while the dogs are in the middle paddock. They spend their day getting as close to the ewes as they can and then will meander to the other end where they can watch the rams. They repeat that pretty much all day and even at night I rarely see them under the roof at the shop where they are staying.

Latest posts