Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been a couple of days and it does appear that Mel has it figured out. When we go down with bottles and the lambs are at the shelter Mel doesn't react at all. I made it a point to go down when the sheep weren't around the shelter and Mel barked as soon as I got down there. He is making it a pain to feed since I try to go down and put feed out so I don't get mobbed but he makes it sure that I do get mobbed.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could wear hunter camo and try to sneak to the shelter to feed before he sees you. And don't hunters scent themselves with doe smell so the deer don't smell them and run away? Although you don't know what that smell will do with Cooper! And if the dogs don't want deer round . . . .

You were in the military so you should know how to do that belly crawl through the brush to reach your objective before Mel gives the alert. I can just imagine you crawling to the shelter to feed before Mel sights you with one of your neighbors watching and telling his wife "Well Mike has finally lost it for sure". Or sending an ambulance because he thinks you are injured and crawling for help. :lol:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have enjoyed the mild weather the last couple of days, even with the rain. I tried to start the tractor earlier today and it looks like the battery is shot but the battery is original and we have had the tractor for six years now. I thought it might be something else at first since it seemed to be taking a charge normally. Once it showed a full charge, there was nothing showing on the dash and it wouldn't crank. I checked all of the safety switches and they were working properly so to make sure, I jump started the tractor and it started right up.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really need to get some pictures in the next couple of days. The co-parenting is working really well and the dams have decided they kind of like this arrangement also. Little Bit's mom is giving him plenty of milk but he still hogs down his bottles. We are cutting back on him and will probably cut him off in the next 10 days or so. Missy (who had the C-Section is loving being spoiled but that is nothing new for her. I have been letting them out to be with the herd during the day and feeding her lambs outside the stall and then going down just before dark to bring them back in. Her hair is growing pretty quick but I sure would not want to spend the night in the open without a coat in temps down in the 20's. They seem to be good with the routine as all we have to do is open the gate and she walks right in (and out) with her lambs. The little rams confirmation is about the best that we have seen so it's a shame to wether him but if we don't he has to go to auction in another month. There actually isn't much of a discussion since I couldn't send him to the butcher but I can send him to the sale.