Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got one bed planted with a variety of squash. We have always planted way too much so this year we just started a couple of zucchini, one Butternut, a couple of Acorn, Delicata and also Cocuzel and Spaghetti squash. We transplanted 31 tomato plants that we have started and we will start a new batch of tomatoes for late Summer. We will plant green beans tomorrow and get the bed of pepper plants started in a couple of days. We are putting a bit fewer this year and will probably be around 20 or so this year.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We took a few pictures of some of the garden beds. We used row covers for the last month so we got a pretty good head start considering it's just the 1st of May. We have been picking Asparagus for about a month now and a lot of green onions and radishes as we thin out the rows plus there are some Sugar Snap Peas by the radishes. We only planted a couple of short rows of potatoes since we didn't buy any seed potatoes but had quite a few store bought that were looking ready to plant.

Attachments

• Onions and radishes.jpg
    Onions and radishes.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Potatoes.jpg
    Potatoes.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 38
  • radishes.jpg
    radishes.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 43

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like your garden. I'm thinking of raised beds for my new home. I gardened in small beds at my house in Livingston, dreaming of a big garden. I got that big garden in Lindale and it was a lot of work. I don't need that big garden now, raised beds are looking better and better.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We get more produce out of these fairly small raised beds than we did out of a quarter acre conventional garden but we do have 13 of these beds.

All of the plants that we started are now in the ground. I had to sprout some more okra seeds since I let the first batch get too dry or too much wind or too much something since half of them died. It only takes a couple of days to sprout and they will be ready to go in the ground in a few days.

We got a new property assessment today and saw that the property appraisal has gone up $70K since last year so taxes will go up a bit. Tennessee Green Belt rates are still relatively low so it will go up to around $950 from $740 last year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think states across the country are jumping on the huge rise in prices to take advantage of the opportunity to raise taxes. People I know in different counties here in Texas are reporting the same thing.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is so much building going on here (all of a sudden) that prices have gotten silly, A builder bought the 55 acres just down the road from us and they are already starting to work it for a new subdivision. The big change in Tennessee is that the city of Franklin is the new high tech city for the region and is growing at an extremely fast rate. Add to that we are right at 50 miles south of Franklin so it is a fairly easy commute for those folks since I65 runs right through our county. 50 miles was pretty much the norm for me most of my working life. For three years I commuted from Virginia Beach to the Pentagon in DC. :)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgive me for butting in. We were told to look there too when moving. Personally I don't understand the Franklin thing. It seemed a bit snobby for us. Although one thing they do have going is better school test rankings (refuse to just say better schools because it's just not so). TN lags badly in the school scores area. Although the boys at my kids' school and on the busses are a bunch of lawless wild animals :hide Just the boys. Not sure what's going on there...

What I want to know is with the inflation, when are wages going to follow? This year DH and all the other tech workers at his company actually got a wage cut. We're some of the lucky few that it's not a financial concern for. Other people I know are not that lucky, especially in some of the less kushy jobs. Cost of living is rising across the board, wages are not. The equation does not add up.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is not going to add up. This is called going into a recession and if not checked, will go into a real depression....
This is serious stuff. There will be more companies tightening their belts and doing without workers and if the supply chain keeps up with all the problems, there will be some more going out of business. This administration has totally screwed this country's economics... and this is the beginning of a big down turn I am afraid.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid Jan said it as all the indicators are that a recession is closing in. I don't have any feel for the job market in Franklin or the Nashville area as we moved here to retire so no current feel for the work environment. Most of the people we know are retired or close to it or still have employment in our local towns so they are like us and not affected by general slow downs. Most of the folks we know don't have a mortgage and also garden and raise live stock so that helps them avoid most of the coming shortages.