Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been so dry that I'm glad I didn't do any spring cutting this year or it would be dead grass. Up until this year I have always mowed one or two paddocks that had the least desirable vegetation but the only bad graze I have right now is Perilla Mint. I finally got that down to one area and spraying with 2-4-D keeps that under control. I think I waited too long last year to spray and they put out a lot of seed but I'm finally getting it under control.

I just wrote myself a note to remind me that I need to change our dog food subscription at TSC. For most of the last year they would be out of the Diamond brand dog food that we use and TSC is about 25 miles from our house so their subscription service works good for us. You get a bit of a discount, the food always comes as scheduled and delivery is free so it's a win for us plus you can change the amount delivered if you wind up with too much on hand.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to walk the fence line this morning to see where the 50 or so feet of wire that was wrapped around one of the lambs' legs came from. She had to have gotten wrapped up in the last hour since I was down earlier and everything was fine. Having tame sheep is always a plus since I was able to pick up her leg to get the wire off of her.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to walk the fence line this morning to see where the 50 or so feet of wire that was wrapped around one of the lambs' legs came from. She had to have gotten wrapped up in the last hour since I was down earlier and everything was fine. Having tame sheep is always a plus since I was able to pick up her leg to get the wire off of her.
That is like the wire that came out of thin air at the field to get wrapped around the wheels on the rake a couple weeks ago.... WHERE does it suddenly come from??? And how do they manage to get it all wrapped around their leg when they could just step over it???? We had a calf get a wire wrapped around a leg one time and almost cut off the circulation and they had been in the barn just 2 days prior to that....
GRR
:he:he:th:th:thWho says that inanimate things like wire don't reproduce out of thin air?????

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who says that inanimate things like wire don't reproduce out of thin air?????
I think you are right about that! I would have bet a fair bit of money that I had removed every bit of the hotwire the previous owners put up. Yet I spotted some on an old post just this past week. Fortunately it wasn't down in the grass I was mowing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horses are excellent wire/debris finders. The pasture can be pristine, yet they will find that one piece of metal or whatever to injure themselves on.

My old gelding Joe came to me one day, walked past me and turned his butt to me to “show” me the wad of barbed wire tangled in his tail. No idea where that came from! Then he stood patiently while I unwrapped one strand of hair at a time.