Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It doesn't like me either but I was in the shower using the ivy soap within 20 minutes so hopefully that's fast enough.

We got 5 hens from a neighbor who is moving to London for an unknown period of time and the hens aren't quite sure about going in the coop in the evening. They are fairly easy to coax so it didn't take too long to get them in. They have lived their lives in a coop that had a run of about 15' x 15' and they haven't quite figured out how to handle the 1/2 acre they now have.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The top of the tree we cut down was full of Poison Oak so we shall see how good the soap works in a day or so. :)

I didn't realize there was that much of it until I got in the middle of it and of course (as usual) I wasn't dressed for that kind of work.
Make sure you put the towels and everything you used after washing with that ivy soap in the washing machine... and use something on your shoes/boots so you don't touch them and pick it up....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
No affect from the poison ivy so far so maybe the IVY soap did the job.

I have been doing the rounds trying to see a fox that has decided to hang around. It was on the porch yesterday eating the cats food when I was letting Sassy and Lance out and it decided it wasn't wise to stay around. Lance was the first to see it and the "get it" command worked well. He was on it's behind going down the hill till I called him off. I have been looking around all day and have seen no sign today. There was one spot that you could see that something had tried digging under the fence but we have chicken wire buried under the fence so it couldn't get in there. I'm back to carrying a hand gun since the chickens don't need to be fox food.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The ewes and ewe lambs are all merged now and the young ones are still trying to figure out how to dodge the bully ewes. Mel and Maisy are happy and spent the day going around memorizing sheep butts. We have the sheep in the middle of three paddocks so I'll rotate them every day. The main paddock has only tree shade so I won't let the dogs be let out in any rain that (hopefully) might come by. The temp was a heavy 99 degrees today and the humidity was matching a small camp fire. Cooper and Pete are together and Cooper keeps hopefully looking in the distance to see his girls but he seems content enough to accept me going down many times to do some brushing and providing crackers. At least this time, he hasn't tried to figure out how to mate Pete.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is Pete the new ram? With plenty of space and no ewes to set them off, they probably won't fight.

Pete is the most valuable sheep on our place and he is a wether. He comes when called, will make a group of skittish lambs completely tame in a couple of days and no matter who he is with they will be calm when he is around. Pete was literally on the way to the market when he was just a couple of months old but he was such a runt that I decided to band him and keep him around since he wouldn't have sold for more than 30 dollars or so. He is a little over 200 pounds now but he will be here as long as we are raising sheep. :)