Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the last few weeks, everything on our dinner meals has been grown here. Our cucumbers seemed to be quitting several weeks ago and we were going to start a few more seeds just for the dinner table but the cucumber plants seemed like they were getting their second wind. We are getting more than we can use now but there are plenty of neighbors. I am really enjoying the cantaloupes and watermelons. We only planted a couple of hills of melons and three hills for cantaloupes, but we are getting all we want and I'm not sharing any of those. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m glad your garden is doing so well. Nothing beats fresh vegetables from the garden.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have some Perilla Mint coming up in the paddock that we use the most so Teresa and I was out pulling it this morning. You can't spray it with 2-4-D when the paddock is being used. The sheep won't eat the mint unless they literally don't have anything else but if you spray a herbicide on it they are more likely to try it since the taste will change to a more salty taste. Repeated cutting will knock it out but I get a respiratory reaction that literally takes my breath away so I don't do that more than I have to. :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you sprinkle loose mineral salt on it to encourage the sheep to eat it? Salt is supposed to stop plants from growing. I tried it with a 50 lb bag of rock sale one winter hoping to stop the weeds from sprouting (before Dorpers). It didn't keep the weeds from coming up but maybe it will make the mint more tasty. Maybe wet the patch first so the salt will stick.