Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The ram is coming around pretty fast. I doubt he will ever be as tame as the other rams that we have but he just wasn't made that way but he is gaining trust pretty fast. I am still making sure that I get down to the stall 6-7 times a day to do just something while they are in. They ram and ewe don't react at all now when I'm sweeping up or adding grass or water. The ram put his nose on my hand when I held it out and he immediately comes to eat when I add some feed or fresh grass. I don't push him and let him decide to get closer and so far he is doing it a little at a time. You can tell his curiosity is working in my favor. A couple of times today, I put a small bit of food out and stood away from it. He came toward me and stopped just in front of me so I could rub his back. He only let me do it once but he walked away rather than ran so we are getting there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is and I think it's mostly our fault. We over fed her on the bottle so she wound up with a whole lot of fat cells that has her all out of wack in confirmation and weight.
She won't pass on the overweight fat cells in her DNA.... disposition counts for something... You should have sent her home with @Baymule as another breeder.... your bloodline would show through...
Has she lambed yet? Maybe try one lamb from her and see...?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She won't pass on the overweight fat cells in her DNA.... disposition counts for something... You should have sent her home with @Baymule as another breeder.... your bloodline would show through...
It might be worth a try to breed her.......

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is still young so we shall see.

We put the bottle lamb in with the two month old ram lambs along with the dogs and the wether. We went out to feed the dogs and also took out a bottle for his 4:00 feeding and Maisy was walking with the lamb. She usually runs out but she was staying with the lamb. Mel is staying with him also so he is in good hands. It's better for the lamb to be out with other sheep and even the dogs than hanging around with people.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had another couple sets of twins born this morning. We went out and got weights and ear tagged those that are ready for it. Our sheep have the tendency to spend the first couple of days at or near the spot where they lambed so I always make sure I have extra water and feed to set out for them. Fortunately they are smart enough to stay near shade with almost 100 degrees for the last couple of days. I have a stand of giant bamboo that seems to be their favorite spot. There is a micro climate under the bamboo that keeps them fairly comfortable even with the heat.

Teresa went out to see where the bottle lamb was and he was bouncing around Maisy and bumping her all over trying to figure out where the milk was. :) She finally had enough and walked away.