Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been talking about keeping Wendy's ram lamb as a herd sire (assuming he continues to grow like he is so far). The genetics in Wendy and Oshi are some that is among the best in the country so we figured we ought to take advantage of it. We are of course using Oshi now but by the next breeding season, the lamb will be mature enough to use as the clean up ram. The farm that Oshi came from wants him back if we decide we are done with him so that's a win/win and we will have minimal separation of breeders for the young ram.

I would be interested if any can see fault with that plan. The lamb can be registered and the only straight relation is Wendy and the ewe lamb.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only fault I can find is that Baymule should buy Wendy's ram lamb for her flock. LOL

I think keeping that ram lamb is a great idea. Even though he will be a half-brother to this year's lambs, he can be used on everyone else. Since you have to eventually return Oshi, keeping that ram lamb out of him and Wendy is a no-brainer. She is not related to much of your herd, and the lamb is excellent in type. You will be bringing in her bloodlines in addition to Oshi's. Definitely he should be a keeper. And when Oshi is busy doing his duties, your wether can keep the youngster company. Definitely time to add a top-quality backup registered ram to the flock. Even if you buy another registered ram when you return Oshi, having 2 excellent rams is necessary. I used to keep only one Dorset ram and the year he died before covering all the ewes, I was up the creek without a paddle. Almost no lambs to sell to offset the feed costs. Never again only keeping one ram. (Of course, you don't have to go the same route I did and end up with 4 rams! :gig)

I am now in the position of needing another ram - haven't been to any sales lately. LOL I did keep a Lewis son per recommendations from the South African judge that evaluated my flock last year. but I have a lot of Lewis daughters and granddaughters. I can use Moyboy on them but have a lot of his daughters/granddaughters too. I need to get all my yearlings and older ewes bred now and having trouble sorting them into breeding groups to use Lewis Moyboy and Junior (Lewis x Axtel daughter son). Need another ram who is not so closely related, similar bloodlines. We didn't go to the Western States Dorper show and sale this year. Next year we will go to buy, and combine the sale with a visit our children. Tax deductible? ;)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We aren't keeping any of this batch of lambs being born now so there won't be any siblings until the next bunch lambs and Wendy is out of a completely different bloodline so I figured we would be good. Up till now, we have only kept one ram since there are a bunch of quality sheep farms that would help us out if needed.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule - I got to thinking after Ridgetops post - My memory isn't what it used to be. Did I say you could have Wendy's ram lamb? If I did, I have no problem with that as I have a dozen choices of great rams within 50 miles of us and they are all friends.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No you didn’t promise me Wendy’s lamb. Keep him, he will be a great addition to your flock. If y’all are keeping Oshi for awhile, there will be another ram lamb. Maybe even one from Oshi and Wendy. Or I can wait patiently for this one, because y’all only keep a ram for 2 years. No big deal. I still have one definite registered bred ewe, by Ringo, maybe another one, although she sure looks slender. If she is bred, she is hiding it well. Maybe he bred her in his last weeks….. I know he bred them all 3 over and over, like they didn’t take. Who knows? We’ll see what happens with those two.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Missy gave us a set of twins this afternoon to add to the Oops market lambs which makes 18 lambs so far. Missy is the ewe that had a C-Section a few years ago so we always hold our breath with her at lambing time. We have always given our ewes a break and only bred once a year but that will change now. We will make sure all of the ewes have time to regain their condition but then they go back with Oshi as we consolidate the yearlings with them. We need to work the young ones more but I have several that we will cull and take to market with the lambs that are going so Oshi will have a sizeable group to keep him happy.

That puts us back to lambing in the October-December time frame along with everyone else but it is what is is.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just went out to see where Missy and her lambs are so we can move them to the holding paddock and they are in the farthest corner of the paddock. We will just open that gate and walk her down the driveway. Every time we do something like this I have to wonder at people that have wild sheep. :) Being that easy to work is also why our neglected herding dogs, never get to herd. :)

Latest posts