Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got the last of the paddocks spot sprayed for Pirella Mint which gave me my exercise for today since it was on foot and hand sprayed due to how steep this field is. When I got back toward home, I saw something I had never seen before and that was Maisy chasing sheep. Before I got to the stall things had settled down and Maisy was laying down beside Missy and her twins. I don't get on to her for anything unless I'm sure of what is going on so I went up to watch from the house. After a bit, a couple of the yearlings wandered into the stall and she lunged at them and ran them out of the stall. It happened again a few minutes later and it dawned on me that she wasn't chasing sheep but she was running them out of the stall so Missy and her lambs were safe in her mind.

When Missy had her C-Section, Missy kept her lambs in the stall for almost a week, and just about every time I would look out, Maisy was laying by Missy and her twins so evidently, she still thinks that is her job.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is always best with these dogs not to assume they are doing what you think you see. LOL There will be a reason for their sometimes strange behavior. Good for you to watch to figure out what was actually happening instead of assuming she was "chasing" instead of protecting.

Good girl! Some of the best dogs are just naturals. But t takes someone special to understand their way of doing things. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rescues are determined to make all LGDs house dog 🤬. 4 month puppies and they state adopters cannot be apartment or farm homes. Really?? The farm option isn't listed on adult dogs but, obvious they want "4-5' fenced yard and active family interaction" suggesting crate train for night. These dogs need proper training, yes BUT instinct drives them. Yeah....that's why so many are in rescue.

One even said pup "was purchased for LGD work and failed". :rant they need training, they don't come fully equipped with fully developed traits. This pup probably "failed" by owner error. Sad.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog failure is always owner failure - either not choosing the right breed and right temperament for job, failure to learn about the breed requirements, and failure to understand how to train the dog properly.

This includes people with no experience that adopt from rescues because they "know they can correct any temperament flaws with love". Sorry people - some dogs are too badly damaged, and others are temperamentally unsound. Heartbreaking to realize that some of these dogs that are unable to be retrained/salvaged could have been good dogs in the hands of owners willing to do research and/or learn how to train the dog. I include toy dogs in this, because many of us have seen people excusing toy dogs' bad behavior - snapping, biting, over excitability, as cuteness when it is really a lack of proper training and socializing.

Sorry, my soapbox - poor training by idiots resulting in unsalvageable dogs destined for the needle. :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog failure is always owner failure - either not choosing the right breed and right temperament for job, failure to learn about the breed requirements, and failure to understand how to train the dog properly.

This includes people with no experience that adopt from rescues because they "know they can correct any temperament flaws with love". Sorry people - some dogs are too badly damaged, and others are temperamentally unsound. Heartbreaking to realize that some of these dogs that are unable to be retrained/salvaged could have been good dogs in the hands of owners willing to do research and/or learn how to train the dog. I include toy dogs in this, because many of us have seen people excusing toy dogs' bad behavior - snapping, biting, over excitability, as cuteness when it is really a lack of proper training and socializing.

Sorry, my soapbox - poor training by idiots resulting in unsalvageable dogs destined for the needle. :(

X a million!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score

You and I stand together on that soapbox. LOL - some of my best students through the years had Aussies they got from the pound - because the original owners couldn't handle them. As breeds - the cuter the pup (working and herding) the more often working or workable dogs came from the pound. They NEEDED jobs. Of course if you want a good working dog those come from good breeding - hedging the bet so to speak.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't know if it's the same snake but we have had a rat snake living in our garden shed for most of six years and it doesn't bother us so we don't bother it/them. I was at the burn barrel which is just outside the door and I heard something hit the floor along with something falling off a shelf. I stuck my head in to see what it was and there was a pair of rat snacks mating and I'm assuming the male will go off after that. There was only one by the time I got something to take a picture with.

Attachments

• rat snake.JPG
    rat snake.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 44