Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need rain to make the grass grow. I hope you continue to get rain through the summer. Last week, I got 1/4” couple days later 3/4” and Saturday night, got another 1/2”. Chance of rain predicted every day until Wednesday of next week. Doesn’t mean it will rain HERE though. 30% usually means nothing. Normally it clouds up, lightening, thunder, and I can see rain falling, off in the distance. I understand when rain falls all around and you are kicking dust! Temperatures are going to be in the high 90’s for the next 10 days.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this perilla mint? Google plant ID says it is. Should I pull it up or spray it?

IMG_4435.jpeg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is what that is. I prefer to pull it unless I overlooked it and it started spreading on me and then I spray with 2,4-D. I just about have mine under control but it seems the seed of these things lasts forever but if I see just a few plants when I'm out walking, I pull them and just drop them as the sheep don't like them. They will nibble on them when they first pop up though. The only issue with spraying is that the 2,4-D gives the plant a salty taste which will lure the sheep into eating the plants. If I spray I try to do it when rain is forecsast the next day or so since 2,4-D only takes a few hours to start working and I can keep the sheep off the paddock until then.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I walked some of the pasture today hunting Spiny Pigweed that is trying to set seed. It's a bit tedious but I cut off the branches that have seed on them then come back and hit the plants with herbicide. If you catch them early enough they can be fairly easy to pull but they have a tap root that seems to be lookiing for China and it's hard to get it all.

We also got our garden raised beds weeded and the tomatoes staked. We almost waited to long for the tomatoes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have huge amounts of spiny pigweed here. I hate that stuff. The sheep will eat it when it’s young, but not when it gets big and tough.

The Perilla mint is in an unfenced spot. Where do you buy 2-4D? Concentrate and mix it or ready to use?

ETA would Grazon maybe be better?