Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got another truck load of assorted fiber glass panels and bags and bags of old burn barrel trash. I can actually see the ditch bottom in spots so we are making progress.

When I went down to feed this morning I took the camera down to get some current pictures of the sheep and the dogs. I set the hay down to move the hay rack and since they were pigging out it was a good time to get some profile pictures. We should start lambing around February 9th or possibly a bit earlier. The spotted ewe looks closer but she is one that I thought might have gotten bred through the fence.
11 Jan 2018 Mama.JPG
11 Jan 2018 Notag.JPG
11 Jan 2018 Sheep.JPG
11 Jan 2018.JPG

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a nice looking group of mommas-to-be.....looks like the rotational grazing is working out much better than the dry lotting, for sure.....:)
We are getting ready for another dip on the weather "Roller-Coaster" here....I know y'all will get hit a little harder with it up in that thinner air....stay Warm....:confused:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are looking good! I love the pic of the dogs with them.

Mine are dry lotted right now. We planted sprigs of bermuda and Bahia, then spread fescue and rye grass seed, along with 2 types of clover. The winter grasses are up, but not enough to stand grazing. I guess in the spring, there will be enough to start grazing. I usually let them on the grass for 1-2 hours a day until their gut adjusts to green grass. Hoping the sprigs grow well too.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fred they are forecasting snow but I doubt (or hope) there won't be much accumulation.

I put rye grass in the main paddock but it's one that needs lime so it didn't do great. Our hay is off of our place so they are enjoying that.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm happy at their condition for this time of year and it has all been on grass unless I need to bribe them into another field. Then they get enough grain to make a noise in the bucket. :)

I'm hoping to avoid some of those 11 or 11 1/2 pound lambs this lambing unlike last time and keep them under 10 pounds.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mike you have to be careful when you count your sheep, the LGD's blend in pretty well. That is probably a camouflage method to fool the predators into thinking the sheep are unguarded ;)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mike you have to be careful when you count your sheep, the LGD's blend in pretty well. That is probably a camouflage method to fool the predators into thinking the sheep are unguarded ;)

I have found bones in the pastures so I assume they are getting something out there. I have gone out in the middle of the night with a gun when they are raising heck but they are settled down by the time I get out there.