Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It took my Dad 13days just to locate a generator....they were sold out all the way to Birmingham. The house I was living in went without power for 38hrs....luckily there were some higher ups from the energy company that lived close by, so that area was one of the first repaired....plus all the lines were under ground.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Roller coaster weather. It's supposed to get down to freezing tonight and as expected my fruit trees are in full bloom. We got a few pictures this afternoon. Our ram Ringo must have taken a few long breaks since we still have 3 ewes left to lamb. The picture of the ram at the mineral feeder reminds me that I need lower that dish. He has good size and was 14 pounds at birth and is pushing 50 pounds right now.

The second picture is the ram lamb that at the edge of the gaggle that was born a couple of days ago. Like all of the ram lambs they are long and lanky and will be ready for market at a good time for us. I'm going to list two of the lambs as possible herd sires for a commercial flock.

20 Mar 2018 AL55 ram lamb TN19.jpg
20 Mar 2018 RTN36.jpg
20 Mar 2018 5.jpg
20 Mar 2018 4.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow!!...they sure are growing quickly....the one is almost as large as his momma....what is your anticipation of mnths to market?.....I don't want time or $$ to slip up on me and want to be prepared ahead of time and will PM or call ya to work everything out.....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The month old ram lambs are ready for the local market in another month and they will be above 70 pounds if we sell any of them that way. We have one reserved for sale in late summer/early fall since they should be right at 100+ pounds by then. Other than that it just depends on 'wants' as far as what size is wanted. They are on milk and grass until we wean them and so far only the ewes are being fed any grain and all are getting some good alfalfa.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no hurry Fred let me know what and how big you want and we can go from there. We don't butcher any of the young ones for our own use that small. Closer to full grown tastes the same and you get a lot more meat. The market for lambs is silly right now and probably like goats but I'm not sure. We can make more $$ selling a 20-40 pound lamb than you can get for one twice or bigger that size but you wind up with very little meat.

Latest posts