Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are having them pull the plywood off as they take off the old siding to replace insulation that we know mice got to before our renovation started to keep them out.
Have you considered expanding foam insulation? It is pretty common up here now. No voides since they see where they foam unlike blown in and faster, plus no itch, than fiberglass batts.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It turned out the insulation was in good shape once they pulled the plywood. Mice were using the space between the main original cabin and the addition. We had already found and sealed that.

We will be canning some more squash tomorrow and also a small batch of sweet pepper relish.

One of our Buff Orpingtons laid a small egg this morning (22 weeks old).

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Time to start saving egg cartons Mike!

My 6 girls and 1 boy will be 9 weeks on Monday so I still have a few months to go. 1 is an EE, got 3 of those 2 years ago. One started laying at 23 weeks 2 days, one at 26/1 and one at 30/5. The 5 Y/O EE started at 26 weeks (still laying 4-5 a week except in the winter!). I have no experience with the Barnevelder (1 since the other is the cockerel), Exchequer leghorns or Welsummers.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Once our youngest ones start laying we are going to need to figure out how to move some eggs. All together we have 26 hens with 6 of the youngest being 8 weeks old.

The dogs are getting prettier coats as a result of the eggs.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@misfitmorgan the food safety people would disagree with you about not needing a water bath for canning pickles. I would prefer not to process them as they tend to not stay crunchy when they have been cooked but safety says otherwise. I like to do the very small sweet pickles, about 2" long is my favorite. But it is hard to grow enough cucumbers to get enough small ones at the same time to can them. I didn't plant any this year...at least not yet. Our growing season goes into October/Nov. so I still have time if I get motivated enough. We'll see.