Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh man, seeing coyotes in the daytime? Ouch. I hope the dogs' bark is menacing enough that the coyotes decide to hunt elsewhere for eats.

I really don't want to drag hoses around to water....
You don't think that would be fun?? :lol:
Maybe you could put some slightly leaky buckets over the goats backs, like saddle bags, and they could water it for you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Better hope for more than .1 of rain. That will only get it started and if you don't get some more fairly soon, the tiny root systems will dry up and it will all be wasted. Better to get more right away or to water once at least very strongly so the moisture gets down in the soil more than the top inch.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo just needed the opportunity to prove his Worth...and it sounds like he is well on his way of doing just that....:thumbsup
We ended up with a whole .1" in the guage, but am hoping that will be enough for the seed to get started with.....I really don't want to drag hoses around to water....:)
I hope you have a good well. According to USGS Water Science School website, just to equal that .1" of rainfall on 1 sq acre, you would have to run 2715.4 gallons of water thru your hose.
Here's some other 'rainfall calculations'.
rainac.jpg

You can figure how much rain in gallons fell on any given sq footage area:
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-howmuchrain.html

(approx 136 million gallons of rain fell on my property during Harvey.
(how much ran across it was a much much higher volume)

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is LOT of water on an acre isn't it!! Given I believe one desires at least 1" per week, at least for a garden, that 27,000+ is a huge number.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bruce - the rye grass is coming up in that section in the picture but we have a cool season grass that has just started coming on and that was what I was cutting for the sheep last winter.

I went down about a half hour ago thinking they would have moved to the area they usually bed down in so I could close the gate to the paddock. They decided they weren't leaving that sweet spot so I had to go back up to the house to get the magic feed bucket so they would follow me in through the gate. I was afraid if something did spook them at night they would run right through that netting since it's so dark out there.

We have a frost forecast tonight so I stripped the pepper and okra plants and put a half barrel over a lone tomato plant to see if I could get it through the night.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Time to bring out the herding dogs! Kinda dark for that though I guess. Last thing you need is a bunch of sheep and 2 dogs hitting the electric net even if it isn't plugged in.

We are having frost as well. Hoping for the best, I've covered the pepper plants with a plastic "umbrella" and the 7' tall "rack" around the cherry tomatoes is wrapped in an old clear plastic shower curtain and a blue tarp. :fl

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:....I bet when they get to running it sounds like a "Thundering Herd"....a cloud of dust....and a hearty Hi-Oh Silver....coming at ya.....:)

Latest posts