Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
From Devonviolet on BYH

I followed the recipe ingredients by grinding the anise seed and rosemary before I made the marinade and also added some to the oils . I had to improvise a bit because of 30 mph winds all day so I cooked the chops on the stove top with the oils and spices (and chopped garlic). I also didn't have 8 hours to marinate so I used the vacuum function on our Foodsaver and I added some red wine to the skillet at the end to make a small bit of sauce. I have never used anise that way and it is really unique and tasty.

Lamb Marinade

1/2 cup melted Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Grape Seed Oil
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
2 tsp Emeril's Essence
1 Tbsp dry Mustard Powder
1 tsp Savory Powder
1 tsp dry Garlic Granules
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1-1/2 tsp Ground dry Anise **
1-1/2 tsp Ground dry Rosemary **

Place Lamb pieces/roast in 1 gallon zip lock bag. Pour marinade over meat, close zipper & massage marinade over all pieces. Place in refrigerator at least over night (8 hours). Twenty four hours is better. Grill on BBQ until browned on outside, but pink inside (6-8 minutes?)

** I made this just prior to putting the marinade, by adding 1 Tbsp of Anise seeds and Rosemary Needles into a small electric coffee grinder. Once it was mixed, I used 1 Tbsp of the combined herbs.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never used anise that way and it is really unique
I'm glad you like the anise in the marinade. I love anise. I've been using it for years, since I got my X's grandmother's (Oma - from Austria) recipe for Lasagna. It has anise in the tomato sauce. Oma a was of Italian decent and grew up in the part of the Alps, adjacent to Northern Italy. So some of her recipes had an Italian flavor. I'm pretty sure the anise was an Italian influence. It gives the lasagna a unique, yummy flavor.

Its been many years since I've made lasagna, and I've been wanting to make lasagna lately. Now my challenge is to figure out how to make it with a white sauce, since I can no longer eat tomatoes. They are in the nightshade family, and I have learned that I am allergic to all nightshade: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers & eggplant. :hit They increase my inflammation & give me migraines. :hitI LOVE nightshades, But They don't love me. :hit

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhhhh, the things we do to have poultry and livestock in our lives. I went out to get the smoker ready to do some beef ribs and went to get the power cord that is hanging on the flower pot rack that is used by E.D. to deliver her daily egg. I didn't notice she was sitting in the pot and of course she freaked out and flew off the nest thinking I was trying to grab her. Sooooo, I came in to wait for her to go back to egg laying so I can start the smoker.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'll appreciate this picture Fred. I finally convinced her I wasn't going to mess with her by pulling the grill out further. She is in the upper left above the corner of the grill. The chickens are all pretty tame but Teresa is the one taking care of most of their needs.

cooking on the grill with E D in background.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just enough meat on that grill to feed me today! ;):drool:drool:thumbsup Love the life changes you make to ensure your workin' girls can get the job done! She sure does look at home in the flower pot. Maybe a name change is in order?

Latest posts