Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can't beat $30/hr at all. Y'all sure do have a very picturesque piece of land there. Have ya decided on what breed of chickens ya want?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breeds do they have at the hatchery? I've not gotten Orpingtons as I believe they very much tend to go broody. Since we have no eggs to hatch, broodiness is a "con" for us. They are very cold hearty so I guess you'll need to make sure you have a way to cool them off in the summer.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
They have most of the common breeds and even some rare breeds that we aren't really interested. They put out an inventory sheet every week that you can check before going to see what is available. They have quite a few that are 3 & even 4 months old but we haven't asked about the price on those.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do they typically intentionally raise "started pullets" for sale or are these leftovers? If the latter and a breed you want, they might be a good price; worth considering picking up a few, eggs in a couple of months :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the circumstances but folks that recommended them seem to be happy with what they have. We may take a run there just to see what they have.

We had a source down around the Alabama but that is where the recent cases of bird flu originated so we will avoid that part of the state.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have some serious tilt table envy going on! That is real nice and I am glad you found a good deal on it. Nice trailer too!

I can't wait to see your new ram!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Counting my lucky stars that we haven't had AI up here. Good plan to skip the other hatchery.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting a few White Orpingtons this year. Broody is good for me! I haven't heard anything negative about Orpingtons, in fact I've heard they're excellent dual purpose birds.

Was the AI found anywhere other than one Tyson plant? Not good...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The last I heard it was found at two locations according to a neighbor but I have made it a point to avoid watching the news since I retired.

Latest posts