Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounding like a touch of "Spring Fever" going on over there..:)
I read somewhere a while ago, that chicks can be determined by the tips of the wings, but I can't remember right off hand just how it is done...it has something to do with the # of feathers....I think.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The turkeys are either Artisan Gold or Mamouth Bronze but probably the AG based on pictures I searched for this afternoon.

I'll have to read up about sexing the Buffs.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found a link that said they are a rare hybrid, come from regions of France. Smaller and slower growing with a gamey taste.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is their description - qualities that wouldn't make for a good production bird but they are as much for the novelty as anything else. They are pretty as turkeys go if they could be called pretty. :)

"The Artisan Gold is a rare breed that is smaller in size and slow growing. It has black feathers, unique colouring in the face and feet, long black legs, and a pronounced beak. It has natural tendencies such as roaming and roosting, and offers a robust, gamey taste that is exotically different from traditional turkeys."

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey I raise heritage turkeys, I'm all for non-production birds! Interesting, will be cool to hear how you like them.

Oh and I do find turkeys to be pretty. I guess you become accustomed to their strangeness, lol!