Testicles?

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am new to goats, but definitely not new to animals in general. But when I got my little boy he was 1 1/2 weeks old. The lady banded him for me, which I now know shouldn't have been done when he was so young :/
But I assumed she knew what to do. Hes now about 9 weeks old and I swear I felt testicles! Obviously his scrotum is gone, but it's farther up, like if he was a kitten or puppy who had undescended testicles. Am I feeling testicles? Are they mammary glands??

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have an appointment to bring both of them for a wellness check up on August 1st. I feel so bad for him though. I obviously didn't know enough when I got into this. Not only am I concerned about that, but I'm also gonna have to decide what to do about his horns. I knew it had to be done early, but I didn't realize it was within days of bringing him home. She never had him disbudded and/or told me it would need to be soon. I'm feeling really frustrated :(

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It isn't your fault you did your best as we all need to learn.

About the horn the vet can getrid of them.
Thanks! I know, I just feel bad for him, it should've been done right away. And now it'll be more traumatizing. And if she didn't get his testicles...he'll have to go through that again ;(
I also lost his sister about a week or so after I got them. She bloated...or something. I tried everything. Even called emergency clinic, but they couldn't help me. I'm soooo glad I found this page! Everybody on here's been great and more helpful then anyone else!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's really difficult when you're first starting out and don't have a reputable breeder to lead you right, or a mentor to continue to guide you. Your breeder really did you a disservice with regard to information and help. But, now you know. And when it comes your time to sell some kids, you'll remember all the help and info you didn't get, and hopefully you'll be just the opposite :D Chin up! Don't beat yourself up. You're trying and learning as you go. You'll be fine, just takes time.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You really need a livestock vet. Dog and cat vets are not a good choice for goats.
Banding is not the best choice IMO. PAINFUL AND ALLOWS THE ROTTING DEAD FLESH TO REMAIN TIL IT FALLS OFF.

Sorry didn't mean to do caps- my computer is broken and I am working with what I have got. :/

We cut and the whole process is about 10-15 seconds and your done. No drama.

You should have a fecal check as well. They want to look for parasites and Cocci.

Cocci is a kid killer! Your guy is the prime age for such a "bloom".

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's really difficult when you're first starting out and don't have a reputable breeder to lead you right, or a mentor to continue to guide you. Your breeder really did you a disservice with regard to information and help. But, now you know. And when it comes your time to sell some kids, you'll remember all the help and info you didn't get, and hopefully you'll be just the opposite :D Chin up! Don't beat yourself up. You're trying and learning as you go. You'll be fine, just takes time.
Thank you! I definately don't regret getting them. I've fallen in love! They are like dogs. But yes, I would help a person any way I could cause I would also be helping the kids.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You really need a livestock vet. Dog and cat vets are not a good choice for goats.
Banding is not the best choice IMO. PAINFUL AND ALLOWS THE ROTTING DEAD FLESH TO REMAIN TIL IT FALLS OFF.

Sorry didn't mean to do caps- my computer is broken and I am working with what I have got. :/

We cut and the whole process is about 10-15 seconds and your done. No drama.

You should have a fecal check as well. They want to look for parasites and Cocci.

Cocci is a kid killer! Your guy is the prime age for such a "bloom".
The vet I'm bringing them to sees cats, dogs, exotics and some live stock. He has a really good reputation. He's a couple towns away though. Really? So the cutting is a better option? The person I got my new female from suggested banding. Honestly, I just want it over quickly. I'll talk to him about that. I do know he only charges $50 to surgically remove them. Seems a fair price to me. I'm the veterinary assistant at our local humane society so when I first got him I did a fecal at work. It was negative. If they end up with coccidia what do I use? I use ponazuril for animals at work. It's a horse product. Wonder if I could use it for them? Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it! Another question, do goats shed their coats like dogs do?