Testing for CAE?

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We've recently gotten 2 pygmy does, and we'll have a 3rd coming soon. These does come from a herd of 11 goats (various breeds). This herd is from a small hobby farm and never tested for CAE. (I do plan to test the does soon.)

In the spring I'll be getting a toggenburg milking doe who comes from a closed CAE free herd. My 2 does don't exhibit any symptoms of CAE and there are kids in their original flock who have nursed from their mom. Even before testing is there a chance that my girls won't test positive for CAE since there original flock seems healthy?

Thanks,
Sonja

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sure there is a chance they won't test positive for CAE. Even if they came from a farm that had some CAE positive goats they could possibly test negative for CAE, But it is best to test them and be sure. I would also test for CL and Johnes while you are at it. It really doesn't end up costing that much. My vet bill was more than the $15 it cost to do the actual 3 tests from Pan American Veterinary Lab. For me personally, I'd rather have the tests done and know for sure.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Theres a great chance they won't test positive BUT IMO since you're in the US and are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of Biotracking, get them tested. For you it's super cheap. I took the enormous plunge and had my 2 Pygmy does tested, both came from a backyard herd, never tested for CAE before and both came back negative.

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you. I was planning on testing them to be on the safe side. I'm hoping it's all negative since the rest of the flock seemed OK.

Latest posts