TESTOSTERONE POISONING

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
thought it was important for all of you to see what a bad case of testosterone poisoning looks like in dairy goats so you can take precautions with your bucks. what started out as a 165# buck yesterday morning ended up almost dead by yesterday evening. there was a less than 2inch gap between the steel t post and the corner of the barn and he worked at it until, well i'll just show you.
IMG_1523 (2).JPG
IMG_1522.JPG

I have no idea how long he had been trapped like that but by looking at him it must have been all day. he was talking trash to a young lady when I left for town like he always does. he looked like a sucked orange when I found him and was unable to stand when I tried to get him loose. also had to remove the cattle panel that was fixed to the pen to make it strong enough for him not to ride over or down. thank heavens str#1 lives close to me and was able to get here quickly. it took both of us to pull and bend the fence post away from the barn more and it took both of us to get him up and out of that mess. first order of business was to get him water and check him out for injuries. he stood wobbling and peeing for almost 5 minuites, poor guy. second thing was to look him over, feel joints and watch him walk as best he could. next came a shot of banamine because I knew he was going to be stove up by this morning. this is what happens to an absolutely sweet, sane baby boy then fall comes and testosterone takes over. today he is really stiff and sore but is able to get around slowly. his mean mama put his feed in one place, his hay in another and his water is a third so he will have to move around some to work the soreness out. I guess i'm going to have to put him in a padded cell with 8 ft high walls and a solid ceiling to keep him out of trouble. I guess the only good news is that he wasn't able to breed the doe that was in heat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor baby. Poor dumb, horny, ding-a-ling.

Just read this and showed pics to my husband. He is astounded, HOW did he do that?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is absolutely scary!
Thank you for posting... we have an area where the baby bucks (born this year, so around 6 months) have a T post that lines up with another fenceline- I have looked at that spot so many times thinking hmmm I hope no one tries to get through there.. It is a bout a 3 inch or so gap... I think we will need to fix that this weekend.

Glad he is doing ok- I would be afraid of a twisted gut after that. Yikes.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
just made me sick when I found him like that. I worried about twisted gut, injured spine, hip joints and all kinds of things. sad thing is that I was going to turn him out with the girls when I got home but I hadn't told him so he got impatient,:idunno
this is the same guy that climbs over fences. goes over electric and try's every way he can to get to his ladies. good thing I love his daughters.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you found him before he met his maker. Hope he recovers fully.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor guy. Mine ended up with a broken leg trying to get to the girls. Another one somehow got the end of stock panel cross wire through his foot, he had to work at that. It is amazing what goats can do. I really hope that he comes through with flying colors and lots of kids. Tomorrow I need to go and change something in the barn...

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor young man.....victim of his hormones. Hope he's feeling better, but he won't have learnt from the experience.

Last year we had a ram killed in a fight over the ladies. 2 years ago ram lost an eye. 3 years ago, ram head-butted the water dispenser off the wall in temper at not being allowed to get to the ladies sending a massive fountain of water all over the shed.

They can't help it, bless 'em (or words to that effect........)