Tethering Goats?

Michael & Donna

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is it OK to tether goats? We have several places on our property we would like to get some goats to clear out. But we don't want to fence that area in right now and don't want them to free range up close to the house building area. Is it possible and and humane to tether them on long lines to keep them in the area we want to clear?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise it. If you do, be alert and present in case one gets tangled or a predator decides it is an easy target. We are using step-in posts and two strands of hotwire to keep our Boers where we are clearing raspberry, poison ivy and honeysuckle.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not tether UNLESS I stayed out there with the goat(s) to see that they don't kill themselves or get eaten by something else. You think a toddler can move fast just wait until a goat thinks you are out of eyesight and see how fast something can get into trouble.

Tethering can be done, but I don't think it is a good idea for more than a hour or so.

How about one of those moveable electric fence? Something along the lines of http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=85 please keep in mind that this is only a suggestion. I have not use this product. You might find something local that is the same idea. Use it when you need it. Just a thought.

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Old thread, I know but it's what comes up when I search for tethering and it saves me starting another.
I finally relented yesterday and began tethering the goats and lamb.
We're on an acreage that, for a couple of reasons, I can't completely fence.
I have a paddock, a small pasture and a whole bunch of what used to be forest and is now bush.
My daily routine is to bring them out twice a day and let them go at it but they have started crossing into the neighbour's land and never did get around to eating our ground cover.
I must say, it's going extremely well and of course, I'm on top of them the whole time.
Have my trusty lopping shears and my favourite picnic chairs and enjoying the animals immensely.
Grass and thistles are being munched on.
Always looking for tips on how long to let them stay in one place.
Stuff like that but no need to tell me not to leave them unattended.
I learned that many, many years ago.
The hard way.
Hope you are all enjoying the summer.