Texans, an ice cream recipe I am going to try tomorrow

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Copycat Blue Bell Home Made Vanilla recipe

Just looking it over and reading the reviews, I don't think it will meet the standard, but we will find out tomorrow because I am getting ready now to start mixing.
icecream.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do love my blue bell. Making it home made is just this side of heaven! Waiting on taste test!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son emails people from around the world and brought me these 2 looks at history from other aspects.

His British friend says the Brits refer to the happenings of the War of Independence as "Rank Ingratitude of the Colonies" LOL

His German friend says his history books say George Washington was a cowardly fellow who snuck in at night to slaughter the "brave Hessian troops". LOL

It is all in what side you are standing on isn't it?

Happy 4th!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

And we Americans are arrogant. I like our arrogance. Texas and Texans are American arrogance on steroids. :lol::lol::lol:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Arrogance built this country. Arrogance is pride in who you are. Nowadays, apologizing for being who we are (the greatest country in the world!) is very aggravating to me!

I don't think America should apologize to anyone. But there are definitely some countries that should be apologizing to us. Take pride in your arrogance - it is the cousin to self esteem and promotes self reliance. What many people view as arrogance is just knowing your own worth and of what you are capable. Arrogance is not bragging.

BTW, I bought some Blue Bunny ice cream today. We never had it before. I only ever saw it when we were in Texas. I had no idea we could get it here, but Walmart is carrying it. I saw it today and bought the Pistachio Almond. I can't wait to taste it.

How was the ice cream, Greybeard? Did you duplicate the recipe successfully?

We always made home made ice cream on the 4th July with our kids. We used to have a big party with friends, lots of kids, everyone in pool, BBQ, then fireworks. Yesterday played bridge with friends, all our kids grown and with their kids at their friends or out of town. Enjoyed being with our friends, but my partner and I had terrible cards. Oh well, it gave the boys a chance to beat us and brag. :clap What was that we were saying about arrogance . . . ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW, I bought some Blue Bunny ice cream today. We never had it before. I only ever saw it when we were in Texas. I had no idea we could get it here, but Walmart is carrying it. I saw it today and bought the Pistachio Almond. I can't wait to taste it.

Blue Bell and Blue Bunny are world's apart and not made by the same company.
IMO, Blue Bunny is not ice cream, and I told a store manager exactly that during the Great Blue Bell Famine of 2015, which I survived, but barely.

The ice cream I made came out good. Is it Blue Bell quality? No.
The texture and consistency was great and it was the right sweetness but still 'something' missing or proportions not correct. The original recipe is for 4 qts and I was making 6 qts so it may have been in my tweaking it for more volume. I actually think the mixture could use a little salt, another egg, and a tad more vanilla extract.
It's close, but not quite 'there' yet (and may never be)
The ingredients listed for Blue Bell's famous Home Made Vanilla ice cream are listed as:
Ingredients Milk, Cream, Sugar, Skim Milk, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Natural and ArtificialVanilla Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Vegetable Gums (Guar, Carrageenan, Carob Bean), Salt, Annatto Color

As I made it:
Ingredients

8 eggs yolks
3 cups white sugar
30 oz. heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Whole Milk (whatever it takes to finish filling)
Instructions

Cream eggs and sugar.
Then add cream and condensed milk and vanilla.
Beat until well blended.
Pour into ice cream churn.
Add milk until to fill line.
Insert dasher.
Pack cooler with layer of ice, then rock salt, and continue to repeat until full.
It's done when it won't churn anymore.

(you DO want to remove the dasher from the can once it gets hard to churn, close it back up and let it 'temper' awhile without turning the crank so it will be more firm, or put the whole can (with dasher removed) in the freezer for about 30 minutes.)

(the reason home made ice cream uses eggs is because commercial ice cream uses thickeners and stabilizers to allow for shipping and storage times (the gums listed in the Blue Bell ingredients for instance) while we use the solids of the egg to provide thickening)