1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Ag Comish to announce approval of pesticide to use against Feral hogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greybeard, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Feb 19, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

It can't come a minute too soon!!
    The details aren't out yet, but there is a little info released.
    There will be severe restrictions on it's use--individual landowners will have to have an applicators license or the land it is used on be under supervision of licensed applicator.
    If it is what I have seen, it will have to be used in a device that only a hog can get it's snout in to. (note I said "If".)
    http://www.easttexasmatters.com/new...ide-use-in-fight-against-feral-hogs/659748862

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. Feb 20, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

I watched a natgeo (or some-such) show about that very device being tested in TX. Only the squeals/grunts of a hog will get the contraption to open and anything else will cause an electric shock. It's supposed to be 100% effective at killing the hogs that eat the poisoned corn/grain. I just wonder what's supposed to be done with all the carcasses? And how fast death happens. Also wonder what happens when the coyotes and other meat eaters come upon these carcasses and feed on them. Will it in turn poison them?

3. Feb 20, 2017
    Alibo

Alibo Loving the herd life

I have lost two dogs due to poison that the neighbors laid out for the pigs in the woods that join our properties. It was very sad to watch and took the vet and I forever to figure out what was happening. I hope those bait contraptions are fool proof, it is a hard thing to go through and seemed very inhumane even for a pig... I understand the reasons, but sad none the less

4. Feb 20, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

I hope so. I hope it kills the buzzards too. A 3 fer 1 is hard to beat.

5. Feb 20, 2017
    animalmom

animalmom True BYH Addict

We don't have a problem where we are with feral hogs... a few miles away and they are plagued with the beasts. Nice to see Sid actually earning his money by doing something useful.

6. Feb 20, 2017
    Alibo

Alibo Loving the herd life

Those scavengers are nature's clean up crew, I sure wouldn't want all those dead bodies littering my woods! :sick

7. Mar 9, 2017
    Huntingstud

Huntingstud Just born

I am new to Texas from Alaska. I grew up in Wyoming on the farms. Do any of you know anyone that will allow me to come shoot some hogs off their property?

8. Mar 9, 2017
    Latestarter

Greetings and welcome to BYH @Huntingstud I don't have sufficient acreage to have hunters come shoot and though I know there are hogs close by, I haven't seen any on my property (yet). You might contact the local game warden or county extension agent and see if they know anyone who could use a hand hunting hogs.

9. Mar 10, 2017
    Huntingstud

Huntingstud Just born

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. It was my dads and my dream to shoot hogs with a bow and rifles. He was killed on a hunting trip with me last fall when your boat flipped. I want to complete the list of hunting we put together while sitting around the camp fires. So I can't thank you enough.

10. Mar 10, 2017
    Latestarter

Sorry you lost your dad. I'm sure you miss him and each hunting trip will remind you. If he was called to go, better the way it happened than to waste away over years with cancer or Alzheimer or the like. I'll bet he preferred it the way it happened over that.