Texss Grass and Plant ID

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Promise I'm reading pasture mamagement books but the grass descriptions are gibberish to me.
The descriptions should be clear... if you understand the terminology.

I would think a book would have a grass diagram... but maybe your's doesn't?

So, here are 2 I grabbed from Google that look pretty clear:

Fig6-3.gif

d1784fe4adef28eca7b70f3fc759306f.gif

To help remember stuff..

the biggest categories are if your grass has rhizomes (rhizomes run under ground), stolons (stolons stay on top of the ground), or neither.

After that:

the auricles are like auditory.. the ears there where the blade comes off the collar. Lack of auricles, and what they look like help narrow down grasses.

Also... there are some things that look like grasses and are not... like sedges (sedges usually have edges, the stem when dissected is triangular).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next fall you can seed with white ball clover and rye grass. There is small grain rye, think rye bread, and rye as a grass. You want the rye grass. The rye grass mixed with the clover helps to keep bloat down, plus keep baking soda out for the sheep free choice. You will have to keep them off the pasture until March, to let the rye and clover grow. Then feed them hay, let them graze for a couple of hours, call them back to the barn with a little feed. You can lengthen the time every 2 days.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan The guides do have the picture and the grass description list "no auricles, etc". My problem is visualizing all the various changes overlaid on one piece of grass.

I'm used to reading mechanical diagrams where everything is as shown. And labeled like these.
Screenshot_20211215-070133_SharePoint.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-070059_SharePoint.jpg

What I will probably end up doing is make my own drawing for each grass as I figure them out in this style.

Latest posts