Thanks for accepting me

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can only have 1 pig, I think I'd skip that. I think you are on the right track with chickens and goats.

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very true. But I don’t think pigs will be my main thing i think ill focus more on goats/chickens
Turkey are fun too! We've only just gotten into them this last spring, but I just got my first egg from one of our baby girls yesterday.
They're more human clingy than chickens in my opinion and have quite similar needs, so there's not much of a learning curve with them.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Turkey are fun too! We've only just gotten into them this last spring, but I just got my first egg from one of our baby girls yesterday.
They're more human clingy than chickens in my opinion and have quite similar needs, so there's not much of a learning curve with them.
I’m soooi excited to have enough land to keep turkeys! I also heard great things about donkey. both are apparently really good species to work with and have a load of personality to them. Turkeys are definitely on my list

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens and goats are nice. Don't forget rabbits if you are into growing your own food. Enjoyable to raise, easy to butcher and the innards can go to the chickens. Also quiet, take very little space and are economical to raise.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heritage turkeys can fly over the fence and go have fun with your neighbors. I had a Tom turkey that would not stay at the barn and pasture. Nope! Over the fence he would fly. And to do what? Why, chase cars out on the road! A truck hit him. So long Mr. Turkey.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Heritage turkeys can fly over the fence and go have fun with your neighbors. I had a Tom turkey that would not stay at the barn and pasture. Nope! Over the fence he would fly. And to do what? Why, chase cars out on the road! A truck hit him. So long Mr. Turkey.
Is there any way to keep them in their area? Perhaps wing clipping or eight foot perimeter fence?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wing clipping is the way to go to keep them in fences. And the fences need to be higher than any needed for 99% of the chickens. And NOTHING that is solid along the top... no chain link with a bar at the top, no wooden fence boards along the top, nothing they can land on or even use as a "boost" to get over it. That said, it is something that you have to keep up with... every new set of flight feathers. And ONLY CLIP ONE SIDE.... if you do both sides they seem to figure out how to make it work. One side makes them way too far off balance. The one thing that will help is for them to not have anything they can fly up onto, like a coop roof, or low branches, to where they can launch themselves higher.
The bad thing is that they have no protection if threatened; flying is their protection from threats on the ground.

Latest posts