Thanks for letting us hang here... think I may stay awhile

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Another BYC member, missing daily check-ins.

Shout-out from Lancaster County, Pa! Mom of 4, always wanted to have a hobby farm. My youngest is in Future Farmers of America (FFA). 3 years ago, there was a traumatic event in our family. The kids and I began to embrace life. So when my daughter wanted farm animals, what would have been a list of reasons why we couldn't, changed to plans to nurture her dreams.

Instead of just buying chicks, I studied up on hatching and taught her what I learned: weighed eggs, circled air cells, candling (of course). We purchased a used Amish style coop, revamped the poor inside design and made a poop tray and higher roost. We had all but one egg hatch from the first 30ish eggs we set. Success in hatching breeds addiction .:drool

I hatch mostly for others now and keep a few. We are totally sold on chickens. Of course, she has been asking for goats, now. :barnie

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!!!!

Your daughter sounds like me, lol! I started with chickens asked for goats and dad said yes, then sheep came, along with lots more! I sold all my animals last year (Goats this year) but I am having 5-kikos shipped up to AK next spring-summer!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
welcome to backyard herds from west central arklahoma. I so agree that a good result with an incubator can cause quite a problem. picture your daughter with a chick in her hand saying "please mom, can we hatch some more". in my humble opinion one can never have to many. now the bad news is that goat math is as bad if not worse than chicken math. goats are great! chickens are the pet who brings you breakfast and goats give you the milk to go with it. look around and read a lot. lots of good threads to learn from. lots of good folks to help if you need it. hope your daughter "gets her goat":lol:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yes! You can't just start with one goat... Oh no... that will NEVER do! They are herd animals and social as well so the minimum you can get is two. If you get bottle babies, they'll be like puppies :love You're gonna love having goats! Oh, and welcome and greetings! Glad you stopped over. There's been quite a few BYCers who have decided they're going to stay after BYC is back up. It's amazing that it took taking the site down to get y'all to come check us out. :D Anyway, make yourself at home and browse around. There's some great stuff and better folks here, all with success as the goal.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome!!!!

Your daughter sounds like me, lol! I started with chickens asked for goats and dad said yes, then sheep came, along with lots more! I sold all my animals last year (Goats this year) but I am having 5-kikos shipped up to AK next spring-summer!

Lol-- oh my! My daughter had been saying for years she wants us to move to Alaska. I have never heard of kikos, I will need to look those up!

Reactions: TAH

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
welcome to backyard herds from west central arklahoma. I so agree that a good result with an incubator can cause quite a problem. picture your daughter with a chick in her hand saying "please mom, can we hatch some more". in my humble opinion one can never have to many. now the bad news is that goat math is as bad if not worse than chicken math. goats are great! chickens are the pet who brings you breakfast and goats give you the milk to go with it. look around and read a lot. lots of good threads to learn from. lots of good folks to help if you need it. hope your daughter "gets her goat":lol:

If we have the space, she will have the goats... how can I argue with preparing her for her chosen future? Lol

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Tha
Oh yes! You can't just start with one goat... Oh no... that will NEVER do! They are herd animals and social as well so the minimum you can get is two. If you get bottle babies, they'll be like puppies :love You're gonna love having goats! Oh, and welcome and greetings! Glad you stopped over. There's been quite a few BYCers who have decided they're going to stay after BYC is back up. It's amazing that it took taking the site down to get y'all to come check us out. :D Anyway, make yourself at home and browse around. There's some great stuff and better folks here, all with success as the goal.

Thank you! I never knew this existed! I love BYC, but BYH offers so much ! Bottle babies, definitely ... I've always wanted Babydoll sheep... definitely need a farm.