that's*satyrical-- farm journal

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

Northern Georgia-hot humid summers, mild winters

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?

I am married 14 years with two boys and a girl. ages 13 (girl), 8 & 6

3. How would you define your farm?

just starting out & growing quickly

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

let's just say this farm would be huge

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?

No but my husband has built LOTS

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

No.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
Love of animals, wanting to be closer to nature and more self sufficient, wanting to have more natural food with less chemicals

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?

both, but I am spending money & not making any yet so it is not a very profitable occupation. lol. hopefully eventually that will change.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?

I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?

I've learned to never say never. I used to tell my husband he was crazy for wanting goats until I learned more about them & now I am wayyyy more obsessed with goats than him....lol

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?

yes

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

outdoors or on the computer looking up things I have questions about or am interested in. If I have an interesting book on hand sometimes I read that instead.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

I'm sure I could, but I've had no interest really.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

not recently. I used to be really creative & probably still could be but I don't have a ton of free time or at least I have other things I'd rather do in my free time.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

pretty much all kinds we are zoned agricultural. I am not sure about exotic animals though.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

no, but my husband can operate one. He can pretty much operate, build, or fix anything. He's awesome like that.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

Yes, but I suck at it. My garden always gets killed by powdery mildew right before I'm able to start collecting the goods....lol

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

No

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?

5 acres

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?

Not sure what this question means exactly...lol

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

I absolutely love all aspects of breeding. I would love to learn everything about it. I love the excitement of the unknown, what combinations will produce what, will it be a boy or girl, how many...etc...

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

Wow. I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up to tell you the truth. I would say farmer girl, that is what I want to be right now, but I am just starting out so time will tell!!

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

once again, hubby is the talented one. Yes, I am a lucky girl!!

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?

sure, if it seems to be tried & tested & reliable

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

I don't know. They always say the grass is greener on the other side, so there are a few places I think I would like to live but I am happy where I am really. If I were gonna give somewhere new a try Australia would be cool, or somewhere in the northwestern US, or maybe Maine.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

would love to, but we don't have one

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
the girl in the incredibles that could be invisible. that would be cool. my daughter would be so busted all the time...lol

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?

many are, but not to the extent that I am

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

Some days I love to cook & some days I'm over it. I am a pretty good cook but I don't branch out & make a lot of new things because of 4 other people in the house each one of them with certain things they don't like to eat....

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?

There are a ton of great animal experiences it is hard to choose. The 2 worst are watching my kitty get mauled by my parents dog & not being able to save him & having to put our old mare down this past year.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

if you consider foraging picking wild blackberries when they're in season...lol

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?

Teamwork. My husband & I complement each other well. I am good at organizing, cleaning, planning & caring for the animals. He is good at planning, building, and fixing most everything.

33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?

Um, I do live in a fictional universe. My imagination is quite active..lol

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?

We do not yet. But we are very good at conserving. We line dry our clothing, turn things off when they're not in use, use a room a/c unit instead of central that we only use when necessary-usually windows get open at night & we use the whole house fan. Hubby is thinking of making a solar hot water heater. I would absolutely love to have solar panels & get a fat check from the electric company someday but as of right now they are too expensive.

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?

LOL one of my sons could probably answer this they are both baby einstein math whizzes, but as for me, well, I have no clue....

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?

No & Yes

37. In what do you trust?

God & family.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?

Once again, hubby does all this stuff...

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?

I don't know. I have had animals since the kitten I grew up with since birth. Probably.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am right with you the gardening. Woudl love to do more but I can't seem to get the little I do right. :hu

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's so weird, because they look so beautiful & healthy & then the instant they start to produce the nasty white powder shows up & everything starts to die :(

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Do you water at night?

I used to have that powdery mildew problem, I stopped watering at night (even though that's the easiest time for me to do it, I have too much other stuff to do in the mornings!) and bought a nifty organic fungicide at a garden store. You only have to reapply every 2 wks or after a rain, so it's not like it's a huge hassle to do it, either....b/c I don't do hassles well.

Now I get up an hr. early on mornings I need to water and only water at the bottom.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good tips to try. Thank you. Of course, they will have to wait til next spring. This garden is already toast except for one very hardy sweet basil plant and one pumpkin that is oranging up nicely despite the fact that the plant is dead....

You crack me up sometimes too. "I don't do hassles very well..." lol seems we have something in common!!! ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My gardening is to plant it and forget it type of thing...this year it did pretty well with that :/ If it requires babysitting it's gonna die...I love to watch things grow and I love to harvest but to constantly be in there weeding, watering and the like...well let's just say that isn't a thing I enjoy doing. So on really super hot days when we have no rain occasionally DH will water cause he feels sorry for the plants :)

I do love to forage for wild eats though. There are amazing salad fixings out there if you really care to look...so yes I do considering picking blackberries foraging - the darn goats and calf beat me to them this year though :(

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So excited, only 2 more days til I pick up my new babies. My very 1st goats! I worked an extra day this week so I could afford to go pick them up on Sunday. :) I will have pics for everyone if not Sunday, then by Monday. Hopefully you can all help me figure out if the doe is pregnant yet too....Of course, if she is not she will be soon since they will be together til it happens. The breeder I am getting them from says the buck is "very persistent" so it will happen!! She also said the doe doesn't seem interested in the buck at all anymore so that is a good sign. lol They are Nigerian Dwarfs and are both about 2 years old & the doe has had 2 sets of twins so far and 2 easy births.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
105813_003.jpg

Here they are!!! Our first goats :) <3 Clinton is the buck (the white one) and Enya is the doe (black & tan with blue eyes) They already follow me around & Clinton gets jealous when Enya comes to see me...lol

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks!!! :) My first venture will be trying to clip their hooves. They are a little on the long side right now. I'm a little nervous about Clinton, he is a buck after all...lol