The art of Palapation

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok. I have been attempting to palapating my rabbits at 10 to 12 days post breeding. Getting pretty frustrated with even trying as I think I "feel" kits but then due dates come and nothing. Then once last spring I didn't put in a nest box and lost a kit due to it (she only had 2... it worked out that we saved 1) so I am making a Palapation thread. Please put any tips for palapation. I think I 've read every article and watched many youtube videos and still am not sure....
yesterday am I checked 2 does at day 12 was sure both were bred. later in the day I rechecked them and could feel nothing.... this morning 1 is full of poo and the other...felt something but wasn't grapelike. Now I need to decide to rebreed or wait and see again.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:pop

I am pretty sensitive when it comes palpating for other things on animals and people but I have yet to feel a "grape" in any of my does. Maybe I do not press in deep enough?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Am getting the "feel" I think...lol but the grapes appear easily felt when they are bred. And feeling poop balls.. I feel as if that's a good sign she's not. As I am having to search too much.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your right, it is definitely an art. I'm about 70% correct but I haven't done it in at least 2 years now. I believe when I was in the habit of doing that I find the grape best at about 14 days normally between the lower and upper track. I would not be gentle about it. I wouldn't try to hurt them but I would give form squeezes and at the same time would move my hand down the stomach, kind of moving anything along with it. This wouldn't be just one constant squeeze but a series of slow deliberate movements, pushing down from top to bottom. If I thought I got a grape I would palpate right on to of that grape.

I know it sounds invasive but I never had any doe lose any kits in birth.