The biggest project may start soon

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
This thread, like all of mine, is also a personal planning journal.
So, now I'm adding stuff about pony shelters.
Have two spots for it. By the barn in easement or on new land section of easement.
Barn one would be out in the open & public view, easy feeding.
Land section would be right past the back gate, with forest on one side and tall hill on the other side, protecting it from high winds, sun & snow.
Which to use...
I thought of doing them one long and the other perpendicular, but that would block the easement. :(
Drew it out, but won't work. Has measurements on it, though.
20200125_135648.jpg

So...Moving onto a long tunnel.
They're floor space is to scale, I went out to measure if they'd fit.
1st pic is just one 10×20ft selter.
2nd pic is two shelters, end to end.
Red in 1st pic shows open areas, one end closed, one open, closed end would have a 6.5ft section on the side open. So no one is trapped inside.
Same thing for the 2nd pic, just longer.
20200125_143048.jpg

20200125_144324.jpg

If they'll be over between trees & hill, then both ends will be open and the long sides enclosed.

One shelter is good for the 2 minis & smaller pony. To fit the medium ponies, I'll need to add onto a 10×10 or another 10×20. Adding the 10×20 would be good when I have a larger project horse in the future, so...yeah.

One shelter will arrive Monday.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope they hold up as you expect. How do you keep the wind from making them into kites, do they come with anchors or do you have to bury something yourself and attach the legs?

A little skeptical about the barrel, but quickly warming up to it.
Curiously the pictures are "unlinked" now.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope they hold up as you expect. How do you keep the wind from making them into kites, do they come with anchors or do you have to bury something yourself and attach the legs?

Curiously the pictures are "unlinked" now.

Going to put cables over the frame. One side will attach to tposts, as it'll butt right up to the fence there. The other, I'll add tposts to use as anchors.

This is the greenhouse I bought before adding the cover. I used Uposts(garden posts) to secure it.
I wanted to buy more of these, but can't find them on sale near the price I found this one for.
It actually flew away a few times as I was putting it together & no frame damage. I'm hoping the shelter I just bought also has a tough frame. Bought just one & will see once it gets here if I'll be buying several more or trying a different brand.
In the back, is my runaway shed. I bought fancy ties & they break. Ugh, need to replace them.
20200125_175420.jpg

After I gave up on gardening, I decided to use it as a storage building. It currently houses the pony's cart. It uses Uposts & has never flown away. The greenhouse cover has shredded, but using tarps now. Frame is still strong.
20200125_175345.jpg

I'm having issues with pictures showing up when I click "thumbnail" or "full image". They show up as code for it instead of the actual image. Idk if that's related to the unlinked pics.

Oh, the greenhouse has a nice, steep roof, helped with the tons of snow we had that one time. The shelter I bought has a steep roof, too. That's something oddly hard to find!

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have experience with those portable buildings. We anchored ours to 6' t-posts that were driven in deep. No problems during very high winds. You don't get snow like we do, but that is a definite issue with them in my climate. You can't let snow accumulate or it will cave in. I took it off daily. We finally took the last one down since the cover split along the ridge line and I didn't want to spend money on a replacement cover.

I did just lose a 12x12 Shelter Logic horse shelter, but that was a different story than the portable buildings. There were extenuating circumstances that led to that ones early death that are too boring to relate here.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the difference between a U post and T post just the location of the "spade"?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
She wants to go on a fox hunt?

Thanks for the T vs U post info, I've used both. The pictures I found only showed them from the front and for some reason the spade on the U post was a lot higher up. That is not my experience with them though.