The biggest project may start soon

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You bought a new saddle? When I was looking for a used one for Syringa I found directions for making a wire mold of the spine, the withers, mid back, and loin. It was a little fragile to transport without tweaking the wires, but worked pretty well. I found a saddle that seemed like it would have been a good fit for her, but was wrong for me.

How do I write the short version...
60 plus saddles. Built a cast of horse's back.
I think that'll do...

Posted saddle is used.

Warning, saddles are a bit of a sore topic for me. *sarcasm*
It's a massive annoyance to me, rant coming...

Trying to find western not built for shoulder riding & elephants is stupidly difficult.
The bull around sizing and individual measurements is infuriating.
The horrible education, or lack thereof, the tack shops have and perpetuate is nauseating.
The heinous scams some saddle makers push makes me want to collect all saddles off the planet and burn them to ash. I've met one last year...
What is rock? Most people, including tack sellers, have no clue whatsoever. Its also difficult to measure on fluffy westerns.
Speaking of fluff on westerns...Did you know that it is not padding?? That's what wool pads are for! Westerns aren't English, which have built in padding and a pad is simply to keep it clean.
Pony saddles...Omg, no. It seems all saddle makers have decided to agree on only one thing and that thing is that "all ponies are morbidly obese and require the widest gullet possible."...
There's more, but I've stressed myself out...😅

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a tree maker I stumbled on a year or two ago on the 'net that does a very good job of explaining tree fit.
His Name is Rod Nikkel, and he no longer builds trees but his info is still out there. This guy is the real deal.

Working in/ owning a tack shop does not mean you know diddly about saddle fit. I know there's a lot of crap floating around and a lot of myths and misunderstandings. Also it's not rocket science, so unless you have a horse with a pronounced fit problem you should be able to find a production saddle that works. I imagine your mustang is probably short coupled.
That was my issue with getting a used saddle for my mare, most were too long and interfered with her hip.
I got tired of the time consumption looking for a used saddle I liked that would fit me and her, so for not much more than a good used I'm getting one I know will work right off the bat.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a tree maker I stumbled on a year or two ago on the 'net that does a very good job of explaining tree fit.
His Name is Rod Nikkel, and he no longer builds trees but his info is still out there. This guy is the real deal.

Working in/ owning a tack shop does not mean you know diddly about saddle fit. I know there's a lot of crap floating around and a lot of myths and misunderstandings. Also it's not rocket science, so unless you have a horse with a pronounced fit problem you should be able to find a production saddle that works. I imagine your mustang is probably short coupled.
That was my issue with getting a used saddle for my mare, most were too long and interfered with her hip.
I got tired of the time consumption looking for a used saddle I liked that would fit me and her, so for not much more than a good used I'm getting one I know will work right off the bat.

I read his website every now and then & have talked to him. Was very disappointed when I found out he stopped making saddles.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've spoken with him? Nice!
The saddler that is making mine knows him and was pleased to hear that I was familiar with him and that I have taken the time to educate myself a little on saddle fit. There are still a few Rod Nikkel trees floating around. I was on a saddlers website that built on them. I couldn't afford that guys saddles and he was too far away.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've spoken with him? Nice!
The saddler that is making mine knows him and was pleased to hear that I was familiar with him and that I have taken the time to educate myself a little on saddle fit. There are still a few Rod Nikkel trees floating around. I was on a saddlers website that built on them. I couldn't afford that guys saddles and he was too far away.

He's on FB, chatted with him a few times & he confirmed that Flugi has lumps from saddle sitting on her shoulders instead of in the correct place.
I'm somewhat following Tom Lamprey currently, he and Hanel's have posted about working on Nikkel's trees.
I've asked zillions of questions and try to absorb everything they and a few others post.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tested the round pen out on my good boi!
The muddy area he doesn't like & he managed to remember how gates work, too. Lol
20200216_183441.jpg20200216_183545.jpg20200216_183526.jpg20200216_183611.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I'm hoping the saddle fits(supposed to arrive Wednesday)...if not, I'll be going to local stores again, anyway...
If it fits, I need her closer to ready to ride again. Or at least to saddle her up w/Headless mounted and go on a ponied ride with my gelding!
She was threatening to bolt away yesterday, but today, she ate & relaxed when I put hay to her nose.
Screenshot_20200217-170435_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170403_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170338_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170318_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170623_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170611_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170509_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170243_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170647_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200217-170307_Video Player.jpg

Latest posts