The bugs are BAD… fly sheets??

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So. It’s summer, yay!!! But the bugs have returned yet again. Fly spray isn’t 100% effective, and I can’t afford to buy 5 bottles a week.
I would get them all fly sheets, but I do NOT want to blanket in the winter because they all get nice and fluffy. My question is, will them wearing fly sheets most days affect their hair so I have to blanket them in winter?

And also, any ideas for keeping the bugs off my geldings sheath?

Thanks in advance!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pyranha was best spray I ever used. Next the permetherins. You can buy a concentrate of permetherins for under $10 and mix with water. Makes a lot!

I never used fly sheets but, they're light weight and won't make you blanket in winter.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Sabrina

Just born
Reaction score
So. It’s summer, yay!!! But the bugs have returned yet again. Fly spray isn’t 100% effective, and I can’t afford to buy 5 bottles a week.
I would get them all fly sheets, but I do NOT want to blanket in the winter because they all get nice and fluffy. My question is, will them wearing fly sheets most days affect their hair so I have to blanket them in winter?

And also, any ideas for keeping the bugs off my geldings sheath?

Thanks in advance!
I like my fly sheets very much. It eliminates my having to use tons of awful chemicals on my kids every day. The sheets I have go all the way up to their ears and then they wear their masks. For the tummies and sheaths/teats I use SWAT. I slather it on where they get bit on the girthline and between the hind legs. One application lasts about a week (give or take if it's really hot and they sweat it off).