Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brucellosis is all negative, not that I was worried but I can say that it is done.

Now I am designing labels for cheese and milk and they have to be approved before I can use them. Also I still have to take the other test and get the lab approved. That in addition to a mile long list still to do. Nov 3 is the next big date.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
HA HA HA. "Do Nothing" is not in my vocabulary. Yesterday I trenched (with my tractor) about 100' for a drain line and water line and installed the pipe, I will connect it all one day soon. Tomorrow I will dig a big hole and install a back flow preventer and a shut off valve for the water to the coop and the barn. Somehow a shut off got missed and it has always bugged me so time to remedy that. The ground is going to be HARD but I want a hole big enough to put a Christy box in so I have my work cut out for me. I also have to go buy the parts for this project which always takes more time than I like to spend. I have about 10 things left on the list and 10 days to get them done...I better get busy.

On the goat front...I am having a horrible time catching these ladies in heat. I have 13 bred out of 39, so a third of the herd. Good golly, this is taking forever.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
22688024_1628093637243053_4120759331543235177_n.jpg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:yuckyuck So true! This is why I have stuck with only one breed. That left my only concern being to figure out When they were bred and to ensure they actually were bred! Now I use a marking harness to figure out the when and blood tests to confirm that it took. So much easier! If you have an easy to control buck you could always walk him through your doe herd every day and see who is interested/interesting...

@babsbag , is Nov 4th your test date or another inspection? I really wish I had your energy to get things done!:bow

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been walking Jumanji with the herd everyday and he is certainly interested, the does not so much. I had a mini yesterday screaming her head off, figured she was in heat, took her to the buck and she was terrified so I took her out, We will see what today brings.

I had two bucklings with the herd until the 2nd week or so of Sept. Now I am wondering... I saw my mini buckling breed a mini doe and that is when I decided they needed to be separated but it has me thinking about getting out the lute for the few that I really would like a Jumanji kid from.

I have been working on buck pens in between dairy stuff. Nov 3 I have another inspection and I take the written and practical test for State license for weigher/sampler. They will also inspect my lab setup and if that is ok I need to schedule the lab person to come out and watch me run a test on the milk. My list is almost done.

I have been working on the milk jug label. I am considering a back one too, more expense, more work, but I would like to put a "blurb" about the dairy on it...maybe. I don't have to do nutrition facts as I am exempt due to business size, which is good as I can't say how much fat is in my milk. So everything I need legally can fit on the front. I need to add a batch number too. What is the vote...do I add a back label?

upload_2017-10-27_9-40-35.png

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So everything I need legally can fit on the front. I need to add a batch number too. What is the vote...do I add a back label?
I agree with @ragdollcatlady. Nice to have info about the operation and it IS advertizing. The people I got the pork belly from have a really good website
http://farmerbrown.eatfromfarms.com/
And on it someone who cares that their food comes from sustainably raised animals can get that info. Plus learn about the family that runs it. "Personal" and "local" can make something more desireable. If you do look at their site, "The Boston Post Dairy" is the source of some products. I don't think it says on the site but that is the farm run by Annette Brown's family. She used to make cheese with them before the Brown operation needed her full time, now her sisters have to make it without her ;). Of course I knew nothing about this until the Browns showed up at the Farmer's Market this year and I started talking with them every Saturday.

You could certainly put some general FAQ type things about goat milk on the back. And while you can't list the actual fat content of THAT bottle of milk, you could put a range either for your actual does if known, or the general range for the breeds you are milking. Plus you could list other products Jumping the Moon sells.